Where Americans Can Travel As Of 9/21/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That information is wrong for Mexico. Despite what is said, the border is open to US citizens (driving) for crossing into and out of Mexico. I did it in August to visit my house in San Carlos and dive, and will be going back down next month.

That's interesting - and makes it really hard to plan around restrictions that may or may not be updated and/or correct and/or enforced. Sigh.

Bahamas is an option too. Captain Scott of Dolphin Dream told me that we will be able to dive in Tiger Beach, Bahamas, with special permission from the Bahamas Authority without quarantine and no pre-test, as long as nobody gets off the boat other than going diving.

Dolphin Dream will have 2 trips coming up in the remaining of this year. The first trip will be on Oct.17 to 23. The second trip will be on Oct. 31 to Nov. 6.

The liveaboard will be leaving from and return to West Palm Beach, Florida.

I booked my spot on the second trip.

Tiger Shark Expedition on November 2020 with $895 (30%) off

How do we know this to be true? How will we be able to measure it when it happens? I'm not a scientist so this is an earnest, genuine question. I'm not asking 'when will this end?', rather 'how will we know when it has ended or reached that critical point?'. Thoughts?

(Moderators - if I'm getting into dangerous territory or off the beaten path too far, do what you gotta do - and thanks!). :)

Google is your friend. Facts about herd immunity are easy to find on reputable medical sites.

Herd immunity and COVID-19 (coronavirus): What you need to know

“Even if infection with the COVID-19 virus creates long-lasting immunity, a large number of people would have to become infected to reach the herd immunity threshold. Experts estimate that in the U.S., 70% of the population — more than 200 million people — would have to recover from COVID-19 to halt the epidemic. If many people become sick with COVID-19 at once, the health care system could quickly become overwhelmed. This amount of infection could also lead to serious complications and millions of deaths, especially among older people and those who have chronic conditions.”

Note the first phrase, “even if infection with Covid 19 virus creates long lasting immunity”. There are already cases where a person has been reinfected with a different strain of Covid-19.

Some people have the impression it’s either deadly to the elderly or you just get mild sniffles. Not true at all. There are many complications with Covid infection, including nervous system damage, heart attacks and clotting disorders.

How do we know this to be true? How will we be able to measure it when it happens? I'm not a scientist so this is an earnest, genuine question. I'm not asking 'when will this end?', rather 'how will we know when it has ended or reached that critical point?'. Thoughts?

(Moderators - if I'm getting into dangerous territory or off the beaten path too far, do what you gotta do - and thanks!). :)

Do you really think 230 million people in the US have had C19? And even then, reinfection might happen regardless of herd immunity. That happens.

Do you really think 230 million people in the US have had C19? And even then, reinfection might happen regardless of herd immunity. That happens.

No, I suppose not. But it begs the question "what do we realistically do in the meantime - which could be years to decades?". Lockdowns are ruining economies around the world and creating a mental health crisis. My clients seem to be reading from the same script - I feel overwhelmed; everything is so heavy; I can't deal with the fear and anger anymore; I miss my friends; I feel like I'm living in a dystopian nightmare with all the masks; I feel unsafe no matter what I do. This is incredibly unhealthy for us emotionally/mentally. How do we handle 'getting through' to herd immunity with a society that is stretched to its limits already?

Which again, is why I dive ... as often as I can. It helps to restore my equilibrium. And if I am stable I am more able to help my clients. I think I need a trip every other week ... I wonder if there's a way to write that off?

Everyone should just go out to the Red Sea. Diving there was awesome for the last 2 weeks :) and the flights and 2 weeks on the boats was cheaper than the usual 1 week on a Carib aggressor. :)

There has to be a way to find your peace within the US.
When I first read the title of the thread my first reaction was : why the rush to want to go somewhere else.
I mean, I understand travel is needed for many reasons, besides my sons all my family is in Spain with a few cousins in Germany and the UK. It is fun to visit them but not imperative.
Then I read @Kimela 's post and realized that if it was me not diving since March or so, agrrrrrrr. I'll probably had been ready to complete time from being arrested but delayed for bad behaviour.

Good luck people... Find your way to the water, maybe look for a way to arrange your life closer to decent diving? Not in Florida this place is full, but somewhere else?

Good luck people... Find your way to the water, maybe look for a way to arrange your life closer to decent diving? Not in Florida this place is full, but somewhere else?

Seriously, this. I understand how crappy things are right now, but just get out, if its not to dive, its to go for a walk, chat with a neighbor, just get outside somehow. If it wasn't for running/diving/boating I'd have lost my mind by now. And I've done some capacity of WFH either full time or most of the time now for almost 20 years now.

We have a couple neighbors we socially distance socialize with. We're thinking of all going in on those portable outdoor propane heaters for the winter so we can continue our sitting outside and chatting.

Note the first phrase, “even if infection with Covid 19 virus creates long lasting immunity”. There are already cases where a person has been reinfected with a different strain of Covid-19.
If it's mutated into a different strain wouldn't that make it covid-20 or something else other than covid-19?

Everyone should just go out to the Red Sea. Diving there was awesome for the last 2 weeks :) and the flights and 2 weeks on the boats was cheaper than the usual 1 week on a Carib aggressor. :)
You do know that this thread is about places that Americans can travel to? And really, why travel for a vacation during a pandemic.

*edit* i see you are from Canada. Sure hope you quarantined for 14 days after your vacation.

Back
Top Bottom