Cost for an instructor to certify someone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also consider a concept that I've learned as a pharmacist: the customer needs to be involved and engaged to appreciate the product/service. Patients that pick up their prescription for $0 copay typically, unconsciously, place less of a value on it than when they even had a token copay of $1. It's human nature. It's a good thing for the student to have skin in the game (i.e. money on the line).
That is a long studied and well established psychological phenomenon. If people have to pay a higher price for something, whether that price is paid in money, pain, or effort, they value the product more.
  • When a high School basketball coach hired me as an assistant and it was time for our first summer camp together, he told me that in the interest of building the team, he always offered the camp for free, but he struggled with players who would only show up for a portion of the days because they had other things to do. I told him of this effect, and he started charging for the camps, although it was not a lot per district policy. After that, I don't believe we had a single player miss a single day in the 8 years I worked in that program.
  • When a restaurant has a wine that is not selling, it will frequently raise its price to increase sales. (If it costs more, it must be better.)
  • I read a story years ago that compared two General Motors products: the Chevrolet Caprice and the Cadillac. (This was back when the Cadillac was considered the top of the line in automobiles.) The Cadillac and Caprice had almost the same features, and the Cadillac cost GM only about $200 more to make. Yet the Cadillac cost thousands more and sold better.

Outside of my own family, the only people I'd train for free is local law enforcement when I open up a dive shop in a foreign country where corruption is a huge problem. Best to have the law on your side.

Otherwise, no.

There is a difference in costs for materials and dues between agencies. It does affect profitability, but instructors often shoot for volume to compensate.

I completely agree. I’m mainly curious if I ever go that route. If I ever become a certified instructor it would only be on The side and mainly to be able to be able to train friends and coworkers.

if that’s the case I’d do it at cost because I’mjust trying to have a good time with friends and spread scuba love.

that said it’s looking prohibitively expensive because of liability insurance etc :(

it would be cheaper for you not to become an instructor and pay for their class out of pocket, lol

I'd be wary of investing time, money, and/or effort in someone who was only willing to get certified if it was free. Once they're certified, are they going to pay ~$50 to rent gear every time you dive together? Or are they going to spend upwards of $1000 to buy their own? Are they going to pay ~$150 a day for boat dives, and then give the crew a decent tip? Are they going to spend thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, on vacations to dive destinations (and then spend their time there diving instead of doing something cheaper, easier, newer to them, more conducive to selfies, etc.?)

I offered to pay for my friend's OW course in hopes she'd become my dive buddy, because I knew she was saving up for her wedding and making a lot less money than I was. She declined, but still took the course with me. That was two years ago and she hasn't dived since. Probably a good thing she didn't take me up on my offer. If you're considering teaching your friends, in addition to the other concerns raised, you have to ask yourself how you're going to feel if, after all that work, they never end up diving again.

So much wise advice itt. Thanks for all of your input. I agree with what all of you have shared, thanks for all the insight!

Even if you don't offer such low cost prices, there's a lot of fun in bringing family and friends diving as an instructor. When I explain to them the "why" of the cost they usually don't mind at all.

The first 7 years of my activity as a Cmas instructor (1978-1985) were done working for free at my local diving club, Parmasub, who is a no-profit organization.
Being an instructor was a big satisfaction and the idea of paying one was absurd.
In Italy, diving clubs are part of the volunteering system and are operating inside the civil protection agency, which coordinates volunteers of all specialties.
Volunteering is a strong movement here. Personnel on ambulances, for example, are mostly unpaid volunteers adhering to Red Cross or to Public Assistance (aka Blue Cross).
Also for most other technical sports we have no-profit clubs and unpaid instructors / trainers.
Only above a certain level an instructor decides to "go pro".
This happened to me and my wife in 1985.
We were hired by Club Vacanze, a tour operator running a number of luxury resorts all around the world. For 5 years we worked as professional instructors and DMs in these resorts. Then in 1990 we ended our career, made sons, and trained only them.
In the US that position of volunteering no profit instructor is uncommon.
Probably also the position of professional instructors hired with a fixed monthly wage is not so common.
It appears that most instructors are paid by each certification released.
These are all different situations. I would warn people used to one not to blame people making different choices.
All are respectable.
A volunteer instructor is a wise person, gifting his time, knowledge and responsability for the good of his community. Of course his gift is worth a lot of money. This should make his choice even more valuable.
On the other side, nothing is wrong for people who decide to "go pro" and to operate only for remuneration. Among many other possible jobs, I did find that working as a professional instructor is a nice job. Not well paid, but it comes with other significant advantages.
Both choices should be respected...

@Angelo Farina

I'm curious, what sort of liability insurance do you need to carry as a volunteer instructor in Italy? Do you also need to carry insurance for 7 years after you stop teaching?

That may be a significant difference. The United States may be a more litigious society than Italy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom