Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When did I advise against travel because of my cousin’s deaths? Not to bring a 92 yr old person on a trip during a pandemic? I own up to that.

When did I advise against travel because of my cousin’s deaths? Stop making things up.

When you're trying to get Gordon to deny his mother travel to Coz and if she insists show her some "tough love" and then followed it with your personal account.

"Time for you to show tough love. I just (this past week) lost two first-cousins to Covid. "

When you're trying to get Gordon to deny his mother travel to Coz and if she insists show her some "tough love".

I would do that regardless of any deaths in the family. Soon you’re going to argue that co-morbidities are a fiction too.

I would do that regardless of any deaths in the family. Soon you’re going to argue that co-morbidities are a fiction too.

When did I say anything at all about "co-morbidities"? You're the one wildly making things up.

And what's with the "too"? What did I say was fiction?

I appreciate your concern, but I am trying to get a grip on specific risk variables, i.e., air travel and visiting Cozumel. Like I said, airports are my primary worry point.

I appreciate your concern, but I am trying to get a grip on specific risk variables, i.e., air travel and visiting Cozumel. Like I said, airports are my primary worry point.

Maybe you can avoid being around people as much as possible. If you get to airport at least two hours early maybe you can avoid the crush to check bags, which seems to be 60-90 minutes before flight. Board last even if you can board earlier. Isolate yourself in the gate area and when you see the last people boarding then go board. Can you spring for First Class? That would minimize passing by a hundred people when boarding and deboarding. Even with the head start of deboarding first she probably won't outrun rows 5-20 to the immigration line so maybe just get inside the building and again isolate off in the corner until the line is gone. You can have one in your group go through early to get the bags off the carousel. Again, be the last group through customs. Spring for the private shuttle. In any lines that are unavoidable, keep her in the middle of your group.

Airports and airplanes are certainly something to be concerned about for a 92-year-old. Even if she's healthy and spry, she's still in the high risk group of getting COVID-19. Airports are inherently nasty places. There WILL be people refusing to wear masks, there WILL be people coughing and hacking, and you WILL see people leaving the bathroom without washing their hands. I don't know how you could possibly socially distance in an airport. It still will be disgusting now as it was pre-COVID-19. It's a tough decision, for sure, but in my opinion, I would not take an elderly person on an airplane right now.

However, if you take the trip, one thing you could do is not sit in your gate area, but sit at an adjacent gate where there's no upcoming flight to board, then you can be away from others.

This may not apply to your area but we flew from Orlando to Detroit and back last week (both very large airports) and they were quite empty compared to what I am used to. My only flight since COVID hit. My wife did the same a month ago also and said the same thing. We even had lunch pre-flight both ways, no problem. I was very pleasantly surprised how comfortable I was personally. Note though, that we flew on Wednesday and the following week Thursday, not the weekend.

The flights were on Delta, which blocks the middle seats. In Detroit, Delta has it's own terminal, so that seat restriction would somewhat decrease the number of people inside the airport I assume.

Mask compliance was near 100%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom