Thoughts on how many years we should expect our dive computers to function properly.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Battery is the very common CR2025. Citizen on for the case back gasket is 393-00216 but iirc it’s a common o ring size, not a funky gasket.
Oh... excellent!
Citizen Australia stopped repairing mine maybe 10 years ago and my local SCUBA technician has been keeping going but he said he didn't have any more batteries - odd. Anyway, I have a bunch of CR2025 so all I need to do is find a suitable O ring.

Oh... excellent!
Citizen Australia stopped repairing mine maybe 10 years ago and my local SCUBA technician has been keeping going but he said he didn't have any more batteries - odd. Anyway, I have a bunch of CR2025 so all I need to do is find a suitable O ring.

Just reuse it, at least for a few years if you’re careful. It’s static, not dynamic, so the only wear is age.

Just reuse it, at least for a few years if you’re careful. It’s static, not dynamic, so the only wear is age.
Yeah... I have been reusing it for around 5 years. At least the technician can pressure test it for me.

Remember everyone: we’re discussing COMPUTERS that can go UNDER WATER. We’re living in the future! It’s really pretty impressive they can survive all the way to the very end of that first dive. If they’re still shuffling bits around thirty years later I don’t think they owe you anything.

Practically speaking a higher end one should give a decade of steady service. I have decided to avoid the cheaper offerings from Plegatic after a few frustrating failures and bought a Petral. You get what you pay for with these things.

I should add that downloading the log from my Citizen Hyper Aqualand is a challenge but I still do it after every dive.

I use a Mac so I have to have a 32bit Windows 7 Virtual Machine to run the ancient Aqualand Graph NX software. It needs a serial port so I have a USB to Serial adapter but I get comms errors resulting in some depth values being too high or too low. To get around this I download the dive 5 times and I wrote some code to compare the 5 downloads and workout the correct depth for each sample.

It gives me the most accurate temperature data so I will continue to use it for my dive log for just as long as I can.

Remember everyone: we’re discussing COMPUTERS that can go UNDER WATER. We’re living in the future! It’s really pretty impressive they can survive all the way to the very end of that first dive. If they’re still shuffling bits around thirty years later I don’t think they owe you anything.

Practically speaking a higher end one should give a decade of steady service. I have decided to avoid the cheaper offerings from Plegatic after a few frustrating failures and bought a Petral. You get what you pay for with these things.
My Pelagic Oceanic VT3 is perfect after 10 1/2 years, 1529 dives, and 1612 hours. My Teric was sent in once for repair, and then was replaced. Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service? Shearwater service is absolutely fantastic.

I should add that downloading the log from my Citizen Hyper Aqualand is a challenge but I still do it after every dive.

I use a Mac so I have to have a 32bit Windows 7 Virtual Machine to run the ancient Aqualand Graph NX software. It needs a serial port so I have a USB to Serial adapter but I get comms errors resulting in some depth values being too high or too low. To get around this I download the dive 5 times and I wrote some code to compare the 5 downloads and workout the correct depth for each sample.

It gives me the most accurate temperature data so I will continue to use it for my dive log for just as long as I can.

Looks like we are using almost exactly the same weird solution!

Looks like we are using almost exactly the same weird solution!
Good to know it Aqualand Graph NX works with Windows 10.

Do you get this when you import?
CitizenBadGraph.png

I get errors like than 99% of the time. I've tried different cables and different USB to Serial adapters but t it always happens.

Many years ago a friend had the same watch and he even got errors like that on a Windows XP on a laptop that had a built-in serial port. I only got those errors when I started using a USB to Serial adapter.

Good to know it Aqualand Graph NX works with Windows 10.

Do you get this when you import?
View attachment 615002

I get errors like than 99% of the time. I've tried different cables and different USB to Serial adapters but t it always happens.

Many years ago a friend had the same watch and he even got errors like that on a Windows XP on a laptop that had a built-in serial port. I only got those errors when I started using a USB to Serial adapter.

Probably the serial adapter - they are all over the map on HW and device driver quality. I dont get that error, but I've only downloaded 1 dive - as a test to verify that I could :)

20201019_121924.jpg
20201019_121842.jpg

Still works, wear it on the other arm sometimes for fun, the main one is an Aqualung i450T with transmitter.
Had the watch since 1999 [I think] always in service.

Attachments

• 20201019_124157.jpg
    20201019_124157.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 56
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom