My Octopus Teacher on Netflix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contrived? Sure. But I loved it nonetheless. I heartily endorse it.

I lived 5 minutes from his house for 30 years. I learned to dive in that water and cannot believe that he freedived without a wetsuit. I used a 7mm Farmer John. Also hard to believe that he walked barefoot on those rocks either, they are the epitome of most slippery objects known to man. Only way that we were able to exit any shore dive was on all fours.

We used to play frisbee with the shy sharks. Look carefully - when scared, they roll up into a circle. They’re in the movie.

I loved it at first then it became too much of a potential Cannes award movie and I got bored.

Contrived? Sure. But I loved it nonetheless. I heartily endorse it.

Contrived is one thing, but overtly deceptive is another. Read the article @Fibonacci linked. It discloses Foster has been filming in the kelp forest for 10 years. It was 5 years ago when Foster first approached the director with the concept and initial footage. So the “illusion” of this film concentrating on a single octopus over the span of a year is just that.

Does it really matter in the grand “scheme” of things? Absolutely not, but it is disingenuous and duplicitous. They are also making a quick buck in the process. However, I do have an issue with promoting the idea of bonding with a sea creature in its natural habitat. This messaging will encourage every tourist with a snorkel to fondle hapless sea life with reckless romantic abandon.

Glad you enjoyed the film. Actually I am considering posting my own emotional journey here on ScubaBoard. Hopefully it will not result in too many death threats! :)

There's an actor the filmmaker looks like. I can see the actor in my mind, but can't think of where I have seen him. Thoughts?

This messaging will encourage every tourist with a snorkel to fondle hapless sea life with reckless romantic abandon.

Get them some of those octopuses with the pretty blue rings to fondle....That'll teach'em.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom