Struggling to Find Kidney Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Ryan Neely another thing I would give consideration to is to practise when out of the water but with the glove on. Get in to your harness (with a tank on preferably so it feels the same as during a dive) and feel where it is. Inflate the wing (I prefer manually as to not waste gas) and get used to locating the valve, then the line and pinching the line as @tbone1004 suggests as it is the perfect way to feather the valve open and manage the amount of gas released - the initial temptation is to grab it and open it fully but that will dump WAY too much gas. Get used to that feel of where your arm and hand is. Do it a few practise runs like this and practise when you are geared up ready to dive - you should be able to demonstrate the dump to your buddy anyway.

You might also consider replacing the knob (what's the correct name for those devices, anyway?) on the dump valve string. On my BCDs/wing, I shortened the pull strings and replaced the small knobs with large knobs, and now I never miss when I grab for them.

The main challenge in taking this course of action is finding new knobs. I couldn't find any new ones in shops or online, so I ended up cannibalizing old/trade-gear that was gathering dust at dive shops.

You might also consider replacing the knob (what's the correct name for those devices, anyway?) on the dump valve string. On my BCDs/wing, I shortened the pull strings and replaced the small knobs with large knobs, and now I never miss when I grab for them.

The main challenge in taking this course of action is finding new knobs. I couldn't find any new ones in shops or online, so I ended up cannibalizing old/trade-gear that was gathering dust at dive shops.
Toggle?

Yeah, My xDeep wings came with some silly little knob that made me have to think too much.

I shortened the pull string and put a larger knob on it. I trained some more last month and shortened the string even more.

You can take an old die (singular of dice) and drill a hole in it for the string to pass through. You might mistakenly project the lame image of a Vegas gambling lizard but it will be hard for the fingers to mistake a square knob.

There’s also a solution from DGX (the one I use).

DGX Large Zipper Pull

It may not be correct, but I prefer the term "dongle." It just adds a bit of a tech feel to it.

Yeah, My xDeep wings came with some silly little knob that made me have to think too much.

I shortened the pull string and put a larger knob on it. I trained some more last month and shortened the string even more.

You can take an old die (singular of dice) and drill a hole in it for the string to pass through. You might mistakenly project the lame image of a Vegas gambling lizard but it will be hard for the fingers to mistake a square knob.

There’s also a solution from DGX (the one I use).

DGX Large Zipper Pull
And here is a DIY 3D printer solution for xDeep.

XDEEP Dump Valve Handle Extension Sphere by vdashv

It may not be correct, but I prefer the term "dongle." It just adds a bit of a tech feel to it.

I’m totally down with dongle. I can do dongle all day.

Just don’t shoot me the shaka sign for pressure check or deco obligation. I’ll have to draw the line there and turn it into a solo dive.

I wish that you could get wings with either left or right kidney dump
I have a Mares XR wing with dumps on both sides, one with a blank cover. Swap as desired.

Here you are

017.JPG

Find the valve

029.JPG

Pull the string

Thanks for the photos happy-diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom