LX15 + Nauticam WWL-C shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very similar to my rig except I use older INON strobes :)

see this link in WetPixel:
New Nauticam Wet Wideangle WWL-C

someone posted still shots with nauticam + WWL-C in 28mm and 30mm zoom (see bottom of the page). case isn't visible - are you sure you can see the case below 35mm?

Matan.

very similar to my rig except I use older INON strobes :)

see this link in WetPixel:
New Nauticam Wet Wideangle WWL-C

someone posted still shots with nauticam + WWL-C in 28mm and 30mm zoom (see bottom of the page). case isn't visible - are you sure you can see the case below 35mm?

Matan.

Yup, positive.
Here is a sample at 24mm.
Even official Nauticam compatibility chart mentions this (Naticam WWL-C compatibility chart).

Attachments

• upload-1050935.jpg
    upload-1050935.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 215
Ok, YT was still processing the video and even 1080 sucked. It's fully up now including 4K.
Enjoy :)

yeah so it seems if you zoom to 28mm you won't see the case anymore I guess.

it's just a big decision getting such an expensive lens.

Matan.

The WWL-C is a 0.42x lens effectively (24 x 0.42 = 10mm) so at 28mm you have the equivalent to a 11.7mm lens and at 30mm 12.6mm. This is still wider than just about any rectilinear you could buy, even if you need to zoom to 35mm you have a 14.7mm lens equivalent, so it is pretty wide. It does appear there is some variation in where people see vignetting - Nauticam say 32mm -, Brajan here says 35mm on an LX-15, the Wetpixel link says 30mm on an LX-10. Could be a bit of sample variation on how far the LX-10/15 extends at a given focal length or even some variation in what the camera reports as the focal length at a given field of view, or even a revised lens design which doesn't extend as far. If it is all in the same Nauticam housing the lens should be positioned identically so mechanically it should vignette at the same field of view.

yeah so it seems if you zoom to 28mm you won't see the case anymore I guess.

it's just a big decision getting such an expensive lens.

Matan.

The WWL-C is a 0.42x lens effectively (24 x 0.42 = 10mm) so at 28mm you have the equivalent to a 11.7mm lens and at 30mm 12.6mm. This is still wider than just about any rectilinear you could buy, even if you need to zoom to 35mm you have a 14.7mm lens equivalent, so it is pretty wide. It does appear there is some variation in where people see vignetting - Nauticam say 32mm -, Brajan here says 35mm on an LX-15, the Wetpixel link says 30mm on an LX-10. Could be a bit of sample variation on how far the LX-10/15 extends at a given focal length or even some variation in what the camera reports as the focal length at a given field of view, or even a revised lens design which doesn't extend as far. If it is all in the same Nauticam housing the lens should be positioned identically so mechanically it should vignette at the same field of view.

For me, it is 35mm to stop seeing vignetting no matter the conditions, which is in line with Nauticam compatibility chart but as I said before, this is not the WWL-C vignetting, it is the case. I can take off the lens and get the same results.
These limitations only apply to photos. Video is not affected as it is cropped from 35mm onwards.

Nonetheless, optics quality of this lens is top-notch. Price, finishing quality and accessories not so much.

An interesting fact.
I used this lens on 17 consecutive dives. Each time my gear was sitting in freshwater before and after the dive for anywhere between 15-25 minutes. Also gave a good rinse at the end of each day.
A few days ago I've noticed a few microchips, scratches which started to oxidize but not metal oxidation, aluminium oxidation.
This makes me wonder. My Nauticam case has way more of these chips/scratches for a year or so but absolutely no problem with it. The lens is showing signs of oxidation after my first trip already? :/
I guess it is made out of some cheaper materials or protection is not as good.
I cleaned these spots with alcohol and put tiny drops of paint to protect it but it is a bit disappointing to see this.

The housings have sacrificial anodes attached - perhaps that is the difference? The quality of anodizing can also vary - the anodizing on the housings seems very good perhaps not so good on your lens?

The WWL-C is a 0.42x lens effectively (24 x 0.42 = 10mm) so at 28mm you have the equivalent to a 11.7mm lens and at 30mm 12.6mm. This is still wider than just about any rectilinear you could buy, even if you need to zoom to 35mm you have a 14.7mm lens equivalent, so it is pretty wide. I

I know the math is accurate but does anyone have a shot with Nauticam housing at 24mm w/o WWL C and at let's say enough zoom w/o vignetting with the lens on a large object like a wreck/diver?

Thanks!
Matan.

Back
Top Bottom