Watch what reviews you post about Thailand...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shocking given how tame that review looks.

A country famous for backwards laws and caning international visitors probably does see a couple years in prison as a reasonable punishment for a disagreement between a restaurant and their guest.

Seems like a bad idea to write a review of a place if you're currently staying there or planning to eat their food again. Good way to get spit or worse into your diet. Bringing a bottle of booze to a restaurant also seems pretty bizarre. Maybe that's common in some places? I've never seen someone do that. Probably why I've never heard of a "cork fee". Now, bringing booze to your hotel when on vacation is pretty common. I do it most of the time when I travel domestically for vacation. It's a non-issue for me traveling internationally as I always go AI. I don't bring it to the table with me if I'm eating at a restaurant. That's just weird.

Lessons learned. Don't go to Thailand. If you have to go to Thailand, don't go to sea view resort. Don't bring booze to a restaurant. Don't post reviews of a place while you're still there.
There is nothing wrong with bringing a special bottle of wine to a restaurant. You pay the corkage fee and add an extra tip and everyone is happy.

If bad reviews are litigated away, then good reviews mean nothing. I am always suspicious of all good reviews. The very best places still have some bad customers who will leave bad reviews.

Lessons learned. Don't go to Thailand. If you have to go to Thailand, don't go to sea view resort. Don't bring booze to a restaurant. Don't post reviews of a place while you're still there.

DING DING DING. I have only ever posted super positive reviews while I was still "there." Occasionally that's gotten me comped a little thing or two. Negative reviews I'm gonna write an email to myself. When I get home, decide if I still agree with that or not so much, and leave the review then.

Now, being pissy and leaving a series of negative reviews which are highly imflammatory, yeah no. Specific complaints, which I can attach pictures/ videos/ whatever to, and I still try to do a "the good, the bad, the meh" version that seems more honest than a written advertisement. Dude seems to be a complete douche just being silly. But play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

My Koh Samui hotel review was basically "phenomenal room" "decent beach, a bit pebbly for my tastes" "staff doing backflips to make sure you do not need any tiny little thing... which is nice, but also gets a bit over-done and annoying" "staff did mail a few postcards for me, it's a month later and they haven't been received yet... but I have no doubt that's due to the postal service and not the hotel." "breakfasts good, bacon a smidge undercooked, but hey... plenty of it. I asked, they made a batch more done." and the manager did reply, and do the usual "thanks yous" "noted, we try... sorry if" and all that. Postcards received in the US about 75-90 days after being mailed.

SLAPP laws in many states protect most people when they leave a bad review. Being arrested would be way, way, way over the top and if it were more than one instance, then I would avoid that particular country.

SLAPP laws in many states protect most people when they leave a bad review. Being arrested would be way, way, way over the top and if it were more than one instance, then I would avoid that particular country.

Do they cover false accusations of criminal activity (human trafficking, in this case) made out of petty spite?

Do they cover false accusations of criminal activity (human trafficking, in this case) made out of petty spite?
There's a lot they don't cover and were never intended to cover:
They don't cover charges or torts in another country or state
They don't cover libel
They don't cover slander
They don't cover extortion
They don't cover malicious accusations​

Understanding Anti-SLAPP Laws

I used to write lots of reviews on Trip Advisor, mostly positive but some politely negative. Then I got bored with it and realized the site owners were getting rich off of my free content. On one trip, my dive buddy told a waiter that I had over 100,000 views on TA. The waiter said "would you like to order now?" Totally unimpressed.

As for Thailand, I never had a bad experience there, other than arriving in the middle of a typhoon for which I could not blame the King or any of his subjects. The Thai people are uniformly polite, have a hard time giving you bad news such as flight delays, even when its not their fault. I would not hesitate to return once the plague goes away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom