Diving with dentures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What have you been eating for the last couple of years?
Not necessarily “soft foods” as such; you might be surprised. Obviously steak is out, LOL. The one I miss, though... before the world went crazy I LOVED a good salad bar. But if I were to go to McDonald’s, for example, I can deal with chicken nuggets just fine. Hamburger works well, and I love making homemade pizza (gotta watch it on that tho!)

Walmart has a house brand that seems to be the same as Fixadent for less.
I’ll have to look. I get their house brand (Equate, I think, for med stuff) for aspirin and bandaids and such. Since I haven’t worn the dentures in so long I’m still working on the little trial tube of the brand name stuff that the dentist gave me. I wore the dang things ONE DAY, decided I hated them and could live without, and that was that.

Okay, I realize that having dentures isn't a "disability" in the normal sense of the word. And I've GOT real disability / mobility issues to deal with as well. Compared to my back, legs, and overall balance issues, dentures are minor. But I thought this might be a good spot to ask.

I'm at the beginning of my ReActivate courses, and had my first pool session a week ago. I hate wearing my freakin' dentures so I did NOT have them in. But... it seems that no teeth = nothing to really "bite" on the reg mouthpiece = the reg kept just falling out of my mouth. Not good. I had to hold the reg in with one hand, which really limited what I was able to do.

I'd really prefer diving without the dentures in... but I guess I can put 'em in if I have to. Any suggestions? Thanks
I leave mine in, it's difficult as you said to bite on the regulator without them. Sounds like you're concerned about loosing them, or they trigger a gag reflex? use glue to secure them. if the adverse is correct I have no suggestions...

I’ll have to look. I get their house brand (Equate, I think, for med stuff) for aspirin and bandaids and such. Since I haven’t worn the dentures in so long I’m still working on the little trial tube of the brand name stuff that the dentist gave me. I wore the dang things ONE DAY, decided I hated them and could live without, and that was that.
Equate is Walmart's name for whatever products they're buying from manufacturers and selling as their own. It's probably made by Fixadent. My grocery has its own house brand of the same adhesive.

I'm guessing, but I suspect you bought junk dentures that don't fit. Were they made specifically for your mouth? If not, consider getting some and eat some apples, corn on the cob, etc.

I'm guessing, but I suspect you bought junk dentures that don't fit. Were they made specifically for your mouth? If not, consider getting some and eat some apples, corn on the cob, etc.

These were made specifically for me... I still remember doing the impressions at the dentist's office. Thought I was gonna choke on those dang trays!
I'll admit they look good when they're in. I just never gave 'em a chance to get used to 'em. Like I said, I put them in for one day, decided I didn't like them, and that was it for the next 2 1/2 years. (Never cared much for wearing my partials, either, before I ended up with all teeth pulled.) They don't hurt... I just don't like having them in there.
I've worn them again for all of two days now and I'm at least getting used to having them in my mouth. Still don't LIKE them though... and eating with them is a challenge. I think that one might be solved with a newer tube of adhesive; right now I've been using the little trial tube of Fixadent that the dentist gave me when I first got the dentures. Works okay until I try to eat.

I grew up in the midwest and remember fresh corn on the cob from my aunt & uncle's farm. Not there yet!

These were made specifically for me... I still remember doing the impressions at the dentist's office.
Ok, good to hear that. George Washington went thru several sets, including one made of lead, but never a wood set as rumored. I wonder if the lead set finished him off? Wooden Teeth Myth.

I just never gave 'em a chance to get used to 'em. Like I said, I put them in for one day, decided I didn't like them, and that was it for the next 2 1/2 years. (Never cared much for wearing my partials, either, before I ended up with all teeth pulled.) They don't hurt... I just don't like having them in there.
I've worn them again for all of two days now and I'm at least getting used to having them in my mouth. Still don't LIKE them though... and eating with them is a challenge. I think that one might be solved with a newer tube of adhesive; right now I've been using the little trial tube of Fixadent that the dentist gave me when I first got the dentures.
Ok, go shopping, get new adhesive, and get used to them. There are powders and strips sold, but I like a generous amount of Fixodent type glue for comfort. If that doesn't work in a week, go to a dentist to have them refitted. It's not hard to adjust them.

I wonder if the lead set finished him off?
It wasn't the teeth. The details of Washington's death are intriguing because they show a common problem in society. He was essentially killed by a command structure.

Washington was ill and was struggling to breathe. He had several physicians in attendance, and they argued about what to do. The most senior and ranking physicians were very much old school, obsessed with the old philosophy that illness was caused by an imbalance in the various fluids in the body. They needed to cure him by removing excess blood, they argued. A single younger physician, schooled in some more modern techniques, called for a tracheotomy. He was, of course, outranked and overruled, so they bled out about 40% of his blood before he finally died. The tracheotomy would not have been a sure cure, but it might have given him a chance to recover from whatever his actual illness might have been.

The tracheotomy would not have been a sure cure, but it might have given him a chance to recover from whatever his actual illness might have been.
Interesting. He handled the Continental Army's Smallpox problem himself. Give it to all the troops in secrecy so the British didn't know our side was ill, then our army wouldn't get it later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom