Mares Genius vs Suunto Eon Core

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bchm0dver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm trying to decide on whether to get the Genius or the Eon core. I am a recreational diver and not concerned with moving into technical diving.

I am leaning toward the Eon Core but I read it is hard to read in sunlight.

I am also wondering which one has the better digital compass?

Both are vastly superior to Suunto and Mares in terms of user interface and pretty much everything else

I respectfully disagree here. I tried both Perdix and Eon core before I bought Perdix and found the Suunto Eon Core interface to be easier to understand and navigate and the display more readable as well. That said both are very good.

I have occasionally found the Suunto display a bit hard to read above water in bright sunlight, but it has never been an issue underwater. In fact yesterday while at the surface in the sunlight it was hard to read the temperature - so I put the computer 1 inch underwater and could read it fine with my head still above water.

I respectfully disagree here. I tried both Perdix and Eon core before I bought Perdix and found the Suunto Eon Core interface to be easier to understand and navigate and the display more readable as well. That said both are very good.

I have occasionally found the Suunto display a bit hard to read above water in bright sunlight, but it has never been an issue underwater. In fact yesterday while at the surface in the sunlight it was hard to read the temperature - so I put the computer 1 inch underwater and could read it fine with my head still above water.
On top of that the Perdix AI Gas Time Remaining conks out if you hit deco, and even a recreational diver will occasionally accidentally hit the beginning of deco.

I'm trying to decide on whether to get the Genius or the Eon core. I am a recreational diver and not concerned with moving into technical diving.

I am leaning toward the Eon Core but I read it is hard to read in sunlight.

Shearwater Peregrine unless you want air integration jn which case get the Perdix. Both are vastly superior to Suunto and Mares in terms of user interface and pretty much everything else

The Peregrine does not have a digital compass

I'm happy with the digital compass on my Eon Core. I use it fairly often on shore dives.

On Saturday it got use back with in 15 feet of the narrow 5 foot wide entry point on a rocky shore after a 55 minute dive on a medium length swim from an underwater wall across a looks the same in all directions sandy bottom. OK there may have been some luck involved in that one as well, but I'm still happy with the compass. I never bring along my Suunto SK8 compass anymore.

If you're in Europe I suggest OSTC Sport.
Cheapest of the bunch, and really well built, and super easy to navigate and use.

Or DiveSoft

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom