Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could you share the link or shop where I can purchase the neoprene neck seal? I would like to try it out.

Neoprene Neckseal

It is warmer on the surface... the deeper you go the more it is compressed - so the same as latex at depth.

It does compress, but I think it is not right at all to say that at depth it is the same as latex. Even one layer of the neoprene will always be thicker than latex, at any depth. And, for the width of the doubled-over part, you have double the thickness providing insulation. And below the doubled-over area, you have some air between the neoprene and your neck.

Also, you talked about it like you wouldn't use a neo neck seal because you might have to have a buddy help you get it tucked in. I have to ask, so? Why is that a problem?

I have gotten various people to help me with mine. I don't see that as a big deal. Definitely not a reason that I would use latex or silicone instead. The only problem would be if I were diving solo, with nobody else around at all. That is rare. And, I can usually fix my neck seal myself anyway. It's only when I have on my thickest undies that it becomes difficult to tuck the back part and make sure it's right.

I have never used seal-on-seal dry gloves. I don't think I ever would. If I don't want the bulk of rings, I use wet gloves. If the water is too cold for wet gloves AND I can't do what I need to do with the bulk of dry glove rings, then I'm not sure what I would do. It hasn't happened to me yet.

have to ask, so? Why is that a problem?

As you don't feel any inconveniences not being able to put on your gear without help - than it is not a problem.

As to insulation - on 3-4 hours dives in 4-6C waters I for example don't feel any cold around neck in latex - proper hood (and additional "ice cap") and warm neck collar are more important here.

I'm not sure what I would do
Donning harness, stage rotation, using lights/spools/reels/cookies/arrows, grabbing stuff from pockets, etc, - all these are more comfortable without bulk of rings))

P.S. see a lot of divers trying to choose the best "Quick*whatsoever* system", but actually there is no any essential need in all of them)) The simpler the better.

As you don't feel any inconveniences not being able to put on your gear without help - than it is not a problem.

As to insulation - on 3-4 hours dives in 4-6C waters I for example don't feel any cold around neck in latex - proper hood (and additional "ice cap") and warm neck collar are more important here.

Have you tried a neoprene neck seal? Back to back with latex?

I got my first neoprene neck seal back in January. I started diving with it straight away, for 3 or 4 months. I never noticed it being warmer than my other suit. Then I had some occasion to switch back to using my trilam suit, with a silicone neck seal. As soon as I got in the water for the first time with the silicone, I thought I had a major leak! My neck felt cold immediately. Then I realized it was just the feeling of the water getting in past the hood and warm neck, to the actual outside of the neck seal itself.

It makes a huge difference (to me) when shallow. As there is no way the neoprene compresses to anywhere near as thin as latex (or silicone), I am inclined to think that it does still make a real difference, even on deep dives. I did a 300'(90m) dive a few weeks ago. I wore my trilam with a neoprene neck seal, warm neck collar, and hood, and only very thin undies underneath. The water was 51F(10 - 11C). My body was getting cold, but not my neck.

Anyway, if latex works for you, that is great. I've had latex. And silicone. I much prefer neoprene. But, that is just me and my personal preferences...

Have you tried a neoprene neck seal? Back to back with latex?

I got my first neoprene neck seal back in January. I started diving with it straight away, for 3 or 4 months. I never noticed it being warmer than my other suit. Then I had some occasion to switch back to using my trilam suit, with a silicone neck seal. As soon as I got in the water for the first time with the silicone, I thought I had a major leak! My neck felt cold immediately. Then I realized it was just the feeling of the water getting in past the hood and warm neck, to the actual outside of the neck seal itself.

It makes a huge difference (to me) when shallow. As there is no way the neoprene compresses to anywhere near as thin as latex (or silicone), I am inclined to think that it does still make a real difference, even on deep dives. I did a 300'(90m) dive a few weeks ago. I wore my trilam with a neoprene neck seal, warm neck collar, and hood, and only very thin undies underneath. The water was 51F(10 - 11C). My body was getting cold, but not my neck.

Anyway, if latex works for you, that is great. I've had latex. And silicone. I much prefer neoprene. But, that is just me and my personal preferences...
Well now you done it, your link was $27 less than the last time I gave this a look so now have one on the way.

Well now you done it, your link was $27 less than the last time I gave this a look so now have one on the way.

It's showing as $89.95. It was $117 last time?!? Wow! To me, even $90 seems really steep. I think it was $70 when I bought mine and I thought that was a bit steep. But, so far, it has been totally worth it, to me.

I hope you love it!

So you guys paid like 90 dollars for the quickneck system, and then 90 more dollars for a neoprene neck seal? Just getting an integrated neoprene neck seal with seaskin is free! And a replacement is only 30 dollars (plus your labor time to actually do the repair...)

So you guys paid like 90 dollars for the quickneck system, and then 90 more dollars for a neoprene neck seal? Just getting an integrated neoprene neck seal with seaskin is free! And a replacement is only 30 dollars (plus your labor time to actually do the repair...)
Actually I paid for a quick neck system for the ability to change seals as needed easily, on one suit I added the warm neck to try it, I like it as it helps hold my hood in place more than anything else but it also adds a little insulation, the warm neck was just a few bucks, like $10 ish.

Now I’m willing to try the neoprene seal, and it appears with shipping I’m willing to pay almost $100 but I’m not stuck with it if I find I don’t like it and I can make that decision right there at the dive site.

It's showing as $89.95. It was $117 last time?!? Wow! To me, even $90 seems really steep. I think it was $70 when I bought mine and I thought that was a bit steep. But, so far, it has been totally worth it, to me.

I hope you love it!
I wasn’t willing to pay $70 to be a beta tester, I let you do that for me :wink: once you reported back the price was $117, wasn’t willing to go for it than but now at $90 I’ll give it a shot. The extra #30 (with shipping) was my insurance cost.

Hello, a very informative and helpful thread indeed. Looking forward to getting me a Nova in the near future, unfortunately Seaskin seems to be widely unknown over here. -
Just one quick question, how thick are those neoprene socks (material strength)? Have been unable to find out elsewhere, so... thanks!

Hello, a very informative and helpful thread indeed. Looking forward to getting me a Nova in the near future, unfortunately Seaskin seems to be widely unknown over here. -
Just one quick question, how thick are those neoprene socks (material strength)? Have been unable to find out elsewhere, so... thanks!
3mm if memory serves.

Back
Top Bottom