Cost per Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I lived in Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) back in the 90s, some of my friends once said, we'll look back on this now and realise we're having the best time of our lives.

Most of our diving was shore diving and unless we used a private beach it was free. Where I lived was opposite a marina and we used to do night dives there as it was great for nudis. All of us had our own gear.

So in general a shore dive would cost

Tank of air SAR4 (USD1.06)
litre of fuel 0.33 (USD0.09)
Roll of Fuji Velvia film SAR25 (USD6.64)
E6 processing of film SAR25 (USD6.64)

So without fuel cost a dive would cost USD14.34

Now living in UAE
Tank of Nitrox AED21 (USD5.7)
Boat Trip AED230 (USD62.8 for two dives)
Fuel to and from Fujairah AED70 (USD19) - I usually fill up before the drive and again once I return, 240Km round trip.

My current cost of diving is now USD46.6 per dive, which decreases slightly the more dives I do in a day as the boat cost decreases for additional dives while the fuel cost to and from Fujairah stays the same.

Reactions: Doc
I think it depends on the type of dives and level of training.
As an instructor of one agency, I'm in almost $12,000, not including equipment. As I move forward into another agency, I am looking at another $15,000, but the ROI for that agency is higher. With that said, Instructors tend to get deals on equipment costs that lessen the blow a bit. Either way, Diving is an expensive sport that I have invested in my enjoyment and mental well-being. I try not to worry about the money too much from my "fun fund" that I save throughout the year teaching.

I think it depends on the type of dives and level of training.
As an instructor of one agency, I'm in almost $12,000, not including equipment. As I move forward into another agency, I am looking at another $15,000, but the ROI for that agency is higher. With that said, Instructors tend to get deals on equipment costs that lessen the blow a bit. Either way, Diving is an expensive sport that I have invested in my enjoyment and mental well-being. I try not to worry about the money too much from my "fun fund" that I save throughout the year teaching.
What are you including in the $12-15K? Even with your own equipment, the costs of the PADI IDC plus DM course and prerequisites for it are maybe 75% less than that (or more). And this is Canada......

Locally I dive with dive schools and insta buddies (dont have alot of friends and 0 of them dive).

At 1 school I pay €71 for a double dive and €39 for a single (weight and gas included). Car ride about €5.
At the other place €66 for double and €33 for single (weight and gas included). Car ride about €20.

Both are an enjoyable boat ride and a nice day out! I dont like partying in the weekend so perfect way to spend that money.

Did €1400 on courses and got my own gear for about €1500. But as others said before, these are rare and/or once in a life time expenses.

What are you including in the $12-15K? Even with your own equipment, the costs of the PADI IDC plus DM course and prerequisites for it are maybe 75% less than that (or more). And this is Canada......

$12K included my college's Academic Dive Program Courses, DAN Instructor Courses, PADI IDC, IE, dues, and fees, etc ( I basically minored in diving during undergrad)

The $15K is for another agency that includes a tech route one must follow before an Instructor Trainer Course—also, Gear, Lodging, Gas, Travel, etc.

I'm curious if any of you ever look at things this way. Overall (lifetime?) cost of fills+gear+travel+charters+etc. divided by number of dives. What number do you come up with personally? What does the cost-per-dive comparison look like between tech divers / occasional vacation divers / avid local-cold divers?

I mostly dive locally and figure it's about $20 a dive, for me and my kids, divided equally between air, cylinder maintenance, and maintenance and depreciation for everything else.

Hilarious thought, how much have I spent per dive... If I added all the scuba courses, equipment, maintenance, insurance, crappy Texas lake dives, instructional pool sessions and travel to exotic far away places, I am sure I don't want to know!

But the vidoes, pics and memories? PRICELESS BABY

Hilarious thought, how much have I spent per dive... If I added all the scuba courses, equipment, maintenance, insurance, crappy Texas lake dives, instructional pool sessions and travel to exotic far away places, I am sure I don't want to know!

But the vidoes, pics and memories? PRICELESS BABY
Well, sure, I added up what I was spending per waking minute for a cross-country family vacation, and it was sobering. Something like $60 an hour. But I don't include the vacation costs, like meal and hotel, because I could be spending that even if not diving.

Well, sure, I added up what I was spending per waking minute for a cross-country family vacation, and it was sobering. Something like $60 an hour. But I don't include the vacation costs, like meal and hotel, because I could be spending that even if not diving.

Well on that note then you could save all that money and book at a local hotel in your city right? You just won't get the ocean view :D:rofl3::cheers:

After a while, the money you spend on diving get Free Will and start investing themselves on more scuba gear. You should be at peace with these entities and let them do their thing o_O

Back
Top Bottom