Venting for Drag.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might be of interest. Found my files on UCLA study.

Attachments

• nash001.jpg-fw.jpg
    nash001.jpg-fw.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 146
And dolphins don't swim the way most folks think either. Ad airplanes don't fly the way most folks think.
Springs in Swimming Animals on JSTOR
Dolphin-spring
So why do we think swim fins work the way we think, or that we should model them after discarded ideas about whales and airplanes?
The link in post #36 is getting closer.....the whole point of fins is energy lost vs converted to propulsion, and that is dominated by vortices. Which is why split fins work for some kinds of kicks...small-amplitude and rapid....lots of propulsive vortices being shed.

And dolphins don't swim the way most folks think either. Ad airplanes don't fly the way most folks think.
Springs in Swimming Animals on JSTOR
Dolphin-spring
So why do we think swim fins work the way we think, or that we should model them after discarded ideas about whales and airplanes?
The link in post #36 is getting closer.....the whole point of fins is energy lost vs converted to propulsion, and that is dominated by vortices. Which is why split fins work for some kinds of kicks...small-amplitude and rapid....lots of propulsive vortices being shed.
Wow, you make my head spin, vortices, whales, planes....I like spring.

One Person I have so much respect for..Bob Hollis. When the time came he came to the mat. If you buy dive equipment, Oceanic is a good place to start. Bob has always been a Mentor.

Attachments

• oceanic001.jpg-fw.jpg
    oceanic001.jpg-fw.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 149
The right way to kick in Force Fins. Flutter, The Most Efficient Kick For The Most Efficient Fins – Force Fin At one point the FAKE DIVE PRESS said you need to " bicycle kick " . Boy did that kill our sales and still hear this comment today. See if you spread a lie over and over people believe after a while. After 40 years now I think there is a new generation who loves Force Fins. Just met a kid in Singapore who lives to dive in Force Fins. Proud to make the best fins in the World. USA.

Attachments

• bob001.jpg-fw.jpg
    bob001.jpg-fw.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 99
The right way to kick in Force Fins. Flutter, The Most Efficient Kick For The Most Efficient Fins – Force Fin At one point the FAKE DIVE PRESS said you need to " bicycle kick " . Boy did that kill our sales and still hear this comment today. See if you spread a lie over and over people believe after a while. After 40 years now I think there is a new generation who loves Force Fins. Just met a kid in Singapore who lives to dive in Force Fins. Proud to make the best fins in the World. USA.
Hi Bob, You Show all those nice pictures starting out in the funk-zone of Santa Barbara. Do you have a place here in Santa Barbara where one could try some of your fins? Unfortunately no one I dive with locally has your fins.

Hi Bob, You Show all those nice pictures starting out in the funk-zone of Santa Barbara. Do you have a place here in Santa Barbara where one could try some of your fins? Unfortunately no one I dive with locally has your fins.
Well we moved from the FUNK ZONE, after 23 years, to 715 Kimbal Street, at this location for 18 years. Funny shaped building on the corner. A friend who hang glides took these pictures of the building. At the time we had 12 staff members pushing out 200 pairs of Force fins per day. After selling the building and purchasing Force Fin back from two share holders, Susanne and I decided to call it a day. But then the US Navy wanted a $80,000 order fillled, so we asked our Production folks if they wanted to do every thing back in Pennsylvania. They said YES and since 2014 we run daily. Now our beautiful building is another homeless emcampment. I am surprised we sell Force Fins at all to be honest with you, but we have a past history world wide and their are those who know and want only Force Fins. #forcefinnersunite. Last week 150 pairs went to the Columbia Navy. Susanne and I are now focused on our Deep Water Desal Project which you would appreciate living here in California. CHESS+EVANS LLC.

Attachments

• ffhq_k-fw.png
    ffhq_k-fw.png
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ffair_kc-fw.png
    ffair_kc-fw.png
    981.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200701_164132-fw.jpg
    20200701_164132-fw.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 74
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back