Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just different approach:
I would rather miss one dive in 5 years, rather than deal with all that replaceable stuff all the time

The one ripped seal I had was a silicone wrist seal. I've not yet ever had a ripped latex, silicone, or neoprene neck seal.

When it does happen, I don't expect it to be more often than once every few years. Especially if I stick with the replaceable neoprene neck seal. So, I don't really understand "deal with all that replaceable stuff all the time." Once the seal is installed, it doesn't seem to require any more attention than if it was a glued-in seal.

Finally found the 3 mm on their website, must have been there all the time... oh dear.
Many thanks also for all the extra input. Not quite sure if that will fit on my standard 6.5 mil wet boots, which I use to wear with 2 mil neo socks when it's getting colder. New to drysuit, sometimes difficult to sort out the options. Thx again!

I have bigger size booties for wearing over my drysuit, versus the booties I wear with a wetsuit. I'm not sure if that's what you mean. I also have different fins for diving in a drysuit that are both a size larger and also more negatively buoyant than the fins I use for diving wet. I feel like that is just part of the "cost" of going dry.

deal with all that replaceable stuff all the time.
This means that besides you should buy and install it, you have to condone with that additional unnecessary bulky stuff... what for? For ghostlike opportunity to replace ripped seal in the field once in a decade?
I would rather miss a dive))

If you don't need it underwater, don't take it on dive - as simple as that

This means that besides you should buy and install it, you have to condone with that additional unnecessary bulky stuff...for what? For ghostlike opportunity to replace ripped seal in the field once in a decade?

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Okay. Party on, Wayne.

This means that besides you should buy and install it, you have to condone with that additional unnecessary bulky stuff... what for? For ghostlike opportunity to replace ripped seal in the field once in a decade?

So you don't take water, food, towels etc when you go for a couple of dives?

The keyword here is "underwater" - I just don't need all these Kubi-Rubi underwater. So what is the reason to have all these steamer pipes on my neck or wrists?

BTW one of my former Si-Tech wrist ring (along with self-adhesive patches) lives in my spares exactly for the once-only field repair.

Could you share the link or shop where I can purchase the neoprene neck seal? I would like to try it out.

Hi j0rd1 - I got the neo seal from here in Australia:

Waterproof Neoprene Neck Seal - 3mm - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop

Seen them here in US as well as in other places.
Neoprene Neckseal-XL/2XL

I found these size charts to be useful, although you may want to check they are current.

Sizing:
M/ML: 13.5"- 15" (34-38cm)
L: 15.5"-17" (39-43cm)
XL-2XL: 17.5"-18.5" (44-47cm).

Neck Circumference in line with Adams Apple
XS-S 30-33cm
M-ML 34-38cm
L 39-43cm|
XL-XXL 44-47cm
3XL 48-51cm

In my experience a neoprene neck seal is warmer than silicone/latex, say equivalent to adding at least one poly top layer. Have done dives to -1.5 C and neoprene really makes a difference for me. I also find neoprene is more comfortable. I am regularly in my suits for many hours at a time and find silicone neck seals can be irritating, although they are much better than latex. On the other hand I am really happy with the bottle type latex wrist seals from Seaskin and would not bother to get silicone.

The neoprene neck seal compresses at depth but still seems to me to be warmer than silicone/latex. Have done dives to 100 m and the other thing to consider is that for most of the time on serious deep dives you are decompressing in relatively shallow water where the insulation of the neoprene becomes much more effective.

Folding the seal to put it on definitely takes more time/care than latex/silicone, but is not really that significant for me. I think that silicone neck seals are less likely to leak, but for me the advantages of a Waterproof brand neoprene neck seal greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

I carry a spare silicone neck seal on dive trips but it is for emergency use only and I don't expect to have to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom