Poll: What is your favorite way to carry lead when using a BP/W?

What is your favorite way to carry lead when using a BP/W?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 5# and a 10# plate plus my STAs are 2#. Those provide all the weight I need for the diving I’m doing these days.

If I ever dive a drysuit again I have a DUI weight harness I’d use for the additional weight. If I were to find myself diving dry regularly again I’d get a weighted STA.

Pockets on the waist belt for warm water. I've got a DSS plate with the detachable weight plates for cold water.

The other I picked is weight on tanks, not often but sometimes.

I use the backplate's weight factored in with the steel tanks, manifold, regs, and V-weight, which is a soft 2 12 lbs. Cannister light could be used for "ditchable" weight. However, a balanced rig should have the ability to swim up from max depth with full tanks + any weight, and also hold a 10ft stop with those same tanks empty or MG of 500psi. It's not rocket science, but it takes more than three dives a year to correctly get your equipment dialed-in. That way, you don't have to faff about with online polls and "hacks" With that said, this is my 0.02 on the matter, you all do whatever you like. Cheers. :coffee:

"Other".

I need quite a lot of lead, especially in my winter undersuit. Carrying it all in one place isn't realistic. Or, at least, not particularly comfortable -- as far as donning dive gear for cold water can be considered comfortable. So I split my weight between weight pockets and a belt (which keeps me somewhat less positively buoyant if I have to doff my rig underwater). Besides, I can adjust only my weight pockets when I switch from my summer undersuit to my winter undersuit or vice versa. The belt stays the same.

4 lbs on the upper cam band, and another 4 or so in quick release pockets mounted to the waist strap webbing. May revise a bit once I get the Freedom Plate into the water...

Locally:
My BP weighs 5 lbs.
For steel tank: 10 lbs weight belt
For alum tank: 12 lbs weight belt, 4 lbs for trim on the cam band pockets.

I use a weight belt is mainly because I already had it.

A recent buddy mentioned the weight belt was somewhat hidden under my harness waist strap, so I am reconsidering alternate ways to carry the weight

V weight
P weight

With twins (doubles), I have a combination of 1kg V, 2kg V, 2.5kg P. This gives me modular weighting for 1, 2, 3, 4.5, 5.5kg depending on my thermals, ranging from summer fresh (0) to winter salt (5.5) and anything in between.

Stainless steel backplate, weighted STA, and a quick-release weight pouch on each side into which I put 2 lb. weights when diving wet, 5 lb. weights when diving dry.

I'm thinking about other options for solo diving, though. A friend of mine pointed out that having all your weight on your rig makes it difficult to remove it at depth to deal with entanglement, so I've played around with a weight belt. But I find that less comfortable, and I'm still pretty buoyant with only 4 lbs on my body in a wetsuit or 10 lbs in a drysuit. Removing and replacing the weight on the STA over and over would be kind of annoying. I haven't come up with a good solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom