Not a pleasant morning here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
upload_2020-10-3_8-57-43.png
Just shy of a Cat 1. Thought it was going to get better with it almost onshore down by Tulum a few hours ago , but it doesn’t want to go onshore and weaken fast enough for my taste .

Basically running between my place and my neighbors trying to mop up the water coming through /around the sliding windows

upload_2020-10-3_9-2-34.jpeg

I am glad it's not stronger with wind and destruction. Stay safe.

Lots of rain six inches last night and four inches day before in el centro according to ourrain gauge. Wind upto 40 mph earlier but not muchwi d now. Lots local flooding

Hope all is well and this moves through soon. Is there a perspective on what storms like this typically mean for visibility and current? Does the port get closed?

Port certainly closed today. I would assume it will be closed tomorrow based on last wind/wave forecast I saw (18kt from South mid day tomorrow). but never say never if the forecast changes. I would imagine it will be open Monday. Obviously keep an eye on the disturbance behind this one for diving Wednesday/Thursday

I would generally defer to others about visibility and currents, but will give my thoughts anyway. . I am sure the visibility will be down tomorrow (Irrelevant if port is closed ) and probably into Monday if for no other reason than the rain. My assumption would be visibility will be mostly better by Tuesday/Wednesday, but that is only a slightly educated guess.

I have seen some wicked currents after storms in the area but that may depend on exact track and size of the storm. Currents a disaster after some storms, but had some storms pass nearby and didn’t notice much of a current change. Given the fact that we have normal large scale south to north current patterns , most disruptions and visibility issues don’t last long before things go back to normal. Once again , that is my two cents but if Dave/Christi etc say otherwise I will will defer to them. I certainly wouldn’t change any travel plans based on Gamma (other than if I were flying today ). Looks like United has pushed today’s flights until tomorrow

While I am not knocking the curfew, I was just going to make an interesting observation given people had asked about diving conditions . Looking out my window in the north zone, I could go snorkeling right now with 60 ft+ viz. Not going to for multiple reasons (the biggest being the wind will change from an offshore east wind to an onshore west wind as the center moves north, also probably violates curfew, port rules and is just plain stupid ); but I have been snorkeling multiple times in worse waves, worse viz and worse current than I see out my window right now. Current is even less than yesterday when I went snorkeling judging by the buoys No whitecaps within 1/2 mile of shore (can see them further out in channel ).

All this will change in an hour or two I assume (certainly wouldn’t have wanted to be in water at 7 am when waves were out of the north more or less .

Just to be clear : not going to snorkel , not even considering it (and you shouldn’t either :). )

Back
Top Bottom