Question on 7mm wetsuit...vs dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve dove both wet and dry year round in Maine. But once I went dry I basically stopped diving wet. I find dry suit diving to be much more enjoyable in almost all conditions!

Coldest I've been in a 7mm wetsuit is 46F. I don't recommend it, but it's better than not diving. Just got a drysuit and haven't been in the water with it yet. The other drysuit I tried didn't fit well, but did save my life when my inflator gasket catostrophically failed on the second dive I ever did dry.

This year I dove 59 f / 15 C in a 8/7 mm semidry, and even that I wouldn’t recommend. Anything below like 65 f is clear drysuit for me.

I dove two 1 1/2 hours dives down to 25 feet in 65 deg water Thursday in my new Pinnacle Tempo.....I was comfortable (warm) and it was very doable for me. I will keep you guys updated as to when I switch over to dry because of cold....BTW surface temp was 70...

One key difference between diving a 7mm and a drysuit is the boat ride back.

A wet wetsuit is going to cool you down quick unless you either take it off or cover up more. A drysuit will still keep you warm, and you can add more air to it for insulation if need be.

I have 2 drysuits and 2 7mm wetsuits. Plus 5, 3, and 1.5mm wetsuits. If the water is mid-60s or warmer, I'm going to dive wet (unless it's a tech dive where I need redundant buoyancy). 5mm or thinner.

But, if it is too cold for a 5mm wetsuit, then I will go dry every time. 7mm wetsuits suck! (to me, of course)

I think anyone that prefers a 7mm wetsuit to a drysuit just hasn't had a good drysuit. If your drysuit is too heavy, get a lighter one. If it bugs you that you can't pee, get a pee valve. Once you have the pee valve and accessories that are needed in order to use the pee valve, it is awesome! (unless you're a girl. I don't know about that, but it sounds a lot less pleasant than the guy experience) If your drysuit is restrictive, get one that fits better.

I have 2 drysuits and 2 7mm wetsuits. Plus 5, 3, and 1.5mm wetsuits. If the water is mid-60s or warmer, I'm going to dive wet (unless it's a tech dive where I need redundant buoyancy). 5mm or thinner.

But, if it is too cold for a 5mm wetsuit, then I will go dry every time. 7mm wetsuits suck! (to me, of course)

I think anyone that prefers a 7mm wetsuit to a drysuit just hasn't had a good drysuit. If your drysuit is too heavy, get a lighter one. If it bugs you that you can't pee, get a pee valve. Once you have the pee valve and accessories that are needed in order to use the pee valve, it is awesome! (unless you're a girl. I don't know about that, but it sounds a lot less pleasant than the guy experience) If your drysuit is restrictive, get one that fits better.
Agree, I think some anti dry sentiment comes with there being a learning curve with a drysuit and to often people try such an ill fitting suit that they get overwhelmed and give up. I like my Hollis neotek and the front zip is very handy but it just doesn’t keep me warm enough as I rarely encounter water warm enough to use it and taking it off is such a pain, I’ve considered putting zippers in the legs.

It will be interesting to see how my dry suit dives this year. I have lost 25 pounds and I am planning on taking it down even more. I was just thinking the other day when I was donning THE 7 mill wetsuit that I think getting into my dry suit was easier....I was hoping to dive a wetsuit down into the 50s hoping that it would be more comfortable than my dry suit but I am on the fence at this point. I will dive my dry suit in the next few weeks and see how it compares in comfort to the 7mm wetsuit . I hope it is way better because I have lost some weight....

It will be interesting to see how my dry suit dives this year. I have lost 25 pounds and I am planning on taking it down even more. I was just thinking the other day when I was donning THE 7 mill wetsuit that I think getting into my dry suit was easier....I was hoping to dive a wetsuit down into the 50s hoping that it would be more comfortable than my dry suit but I am on the fence at this point. I will dive my dry suit in the next few weeks and see how it compares in comfort to the 7mm wetsuit . I hope it is way better because I have lost some weight....

Congrats on the weight loss, it's easy to gain and hard to lose....

Back
Top Bottom