Plastic drysuit zipper tooth repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gyula Fora

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

My drysuit zipper got damaged somehow on my last dive. One tooth basically came off in the beginning of the zipper chain (probably it was stressed too much at the opening and got misaligned).

It is a YKK Aquaseal zipper. It almost seems like the tooth should be replaceable somehow, does anyone know whether this is possible?

Worst case I could try gluing the zipper together with aquaseal/aquasure until the broken part and some more. I can still use the suit without opening the zipper all the way as this is at the very end anyways. This should be a semi permanent solution I guess/

What do you think? Any experience doing something similar?

IMG_1613.jpg

Does it leak, I would be surprised if not but you don’t know until you know.

For the first thought on it you need a new zipper but the aquaseal patch may work for a while.

You cannot repair it, but since it's at the end I would not hesitate to seal the area up a bit beyond the missing tooth. You really have little to lose other than getting wet.
Clean well, and maybe reinforce with some coated pack cloth, neoprene, or such. You want to try to minimize the stress on the 'new' final tooth.
If that doesn't work I think replacement is your only option.

You cannot repair it, but since it's at the end I would not hesitate to seal the area up a bit beyond the missing tooth. You really have little to lose other than getting wet.
Clean well, and maybe reinforce with some coated pack cloth, neoprene, or such. You want to try to minimize the stress on the 'new' final tooth.
If that doesn't work I think replacement is your only option.

Thanks a lot for the input, I will give this a try!

Back
Top Bottom