DIR- Generic Age and Demanding Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy for fundies was 55+. He nailed the tech pass effortlessly, and he's cave and ccr instructor. So yeah, you have enough time left to support dive gear producers :p

in September I'll do tech1 with a 50+ buddy (assuming no travel restrictions). He got a tech pass just before COVID. Take it easy :)

I'm 49, but I sometimes identify as 21. Until I hang out with other people who are 21. Then I identify as 49.

Did Fundamentals in ´14. Was 33 and quite obese. Still, came out with a techpass. It spurred further training, weightloss and exercise. Age is a number. 38 now, and more or less "done" with classes for the moment. Last dive was deep in Plura, Norway. The difference from your experience in Fundamentals, and the more demanding dives is that in Fundamentals you do 2-3 (4 if the water is warm) super challenging dives, with constant strain on mental and physical focus. You dont do that when "fun diving". I live in Norway, and I can count on one hand the days I did 2 dives a day. I do one well planned and fun dive. (Ok, so I have a muscular disease, so my buddies might want two dives...) It is still worth it! Classes will always be super challenging. GUE instructors will always try to push you to be better than you were. Even if you are well within passing parameters, they will still challenge and work with you. My preferred buddy for deep cave is turning 50... so plenty time...

... I guess I’m looking for some inspiration from people who started their fundies in their late 30s or older and progressed up the GUE stream of courses. :)

First certified at 14, took my first "Tec" course at 32, Trimix at 38, Fundies (tech) at 51, GUE Cave 1 at 54, Full cave in 2017 at 56, still diving and I will be 60 in February. I will say, Cave 1 kicked my ass, by the end of the week I felt 54.

That said, I work out 3 times a week with weights and at least 2 days a week cardio. Not to mention the occasional physical therapy for sports injuries......

I'm 50, and before the pandemic turned everything upside down I was doing Tech2+ dives in rough, temperate, current prone waters, with D18s, three 80cf stages, scooter and camera.

Since the start of the pandemic with where I've ended up re. border closures etc, I've had basically no opportunity to do any kind of tech diving, but I'm staying in shape, diving recreationally and hoping that the timeframe when things open up again allows me to get back in to T2 level, even if I start to transition to doing those dives in less typically challenging conditions.

T1 level is a given for many more years either way. Cave 2 level also, since that avoids the intense stresses of getting off and on a small boat in rough conditions. I will admit, one reason I never went rebreather is that I was aware that there would ultimately be a time limit on doing dives that really justified one.

Good question, don't worry. Just keep a basic fitness level (run, swim, ride bicycle... whatever) and you're good to go for many more years.

I'm 44, did my Fundies when I was 33, have a small son, so am not diving as much as I used to (I try to manage about 30 trimix dives per year now), but I plan to keep diving for a looong time ;-)

Many of the high end GUE instructors are in their 50's, and they are all still involved in projects, so nor worries.

About fundies: it was by far the hardest course I ever did (and I've done most GUE courses, am an IANTD instructor and have certs from a number of other agencies), so being very very tired, is part of the deal. Trust me it will get better. Although what I've seen with almost any GUE course I've done and also divers in my community is the typical 3rd-4th day wall. First day is always a sort or rehash of the basic skills no matter what GUE course you take, and then you move on, by the 3rd or 4th day you are getting a bit swamped with new skills, skills taught the previous days not yet ingrained + you are getting a bit tired after already 3-4 full days of diving and concentrating and trying to grasp content. Hitting a low mid course is normal :)

Cheer up! You'll be fine!

About fundies: it was by far the hardest course I ever did (and I've done most GUE courses, am an IANTD instructor and have certs from a number of other agencies), so being very very tired, is part of the deal. Trust me it will get better. Although what I've seen with almost any GUE course I've done and also divers in my community is the typical 3rd-4th day wall. First day is always a sort or rehash of the basic skills no matter what GUE course you take, and then you move on, by the 3rd or 4th day you are getting a bit swamped with new skills, skills taught the previous days not yet ingrained + you are getting a bit tired after already 3-4 full days of diving and concentrating and trying to grasp content. Hitting a low mid course is normal :)

Is this intentional ie: is "you are getting a bit tired after already 3-4 full days of diving and concentrating and trying to grasp content. Hitting a low mid course is normal" done on purpose to somehow enhance learning?

My guess is no and that is why they broke up GUE F into 2 parts; 1 and 2.
I don't know; I am asking.

About fundies: it was by far the hardest course I ever did (and I've done most GUE courses, am an IANTD instructor and have certs from a number of other agencies), so being very very tired, is part of the deal.

How can it be that it's the hardest course? Aren't there more advanced, more demanding courses in GUE?

I don't know; I am asking.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom