DIR- Generic New Santi Avatar Drysuit ordered—full review to follow soon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the write up. Sounds like the suit is holding up well in the caves.

I have the suit now 1.5 week. I picked it up on my way to some French caves. The main goal was to use it for airplane trips, but now directly in caves was a good try I think.
I never fitted in normal suits, I allways used MTM, as I am female, but 1.82m tall. But this time I fitted in the XXL Female size. I think I was the first with the 'woman/female cut' from Avatar.

The color of the female suits is the same as for the man, but with a small green/blue liner on the neck and a pocket. Sadly no pink, haha. The zip comes for females over the right shoulder, I never understanded why, but it won't hurt you, so is no problem. The boots are the same as you can choose with a santi suit, flexsoles or something they are called.
On knees, between the legs and the under arms is thicker fabric used.

View attachment 599636

The undersuit was comfortable for me in 8 degrees C water for 1 hour. So it was warmer than expected. I really like the comfort of the undersuit. In winter, you need a thicker undersuit. But for most dives it will be ok. I use in winter my 490 grams Tecline undersuit and that also fits under this Avatar suit (I tried it of course).

I used the drysuit and undersuit for 13 cavedives now, all sidemount ccr, and some where quite narrow.
You don't see it is used, it is like new (except some clay on the suit, haha) and it is not used in the most easy circumstances.

View attachment 599637

View attachment 599638

I would avoid drysuits of breathable fabrics, as they tend to become semidry rather quickly.
If you are shot on budget, take a look at Seaskin - got it for 734 GBP ($900) with all needed options (telescopic torso, pockets, p-valve, etc) and shipping.

I have yet to have it become "semidry". As soon as the magazine issue is released, I'll post the article here.

How many dives have you done now with the drysuit? Still dry?

I am now on 23 dives. Still dry. But with the high temperatures from last week, sweat makes also the inside wet :wink: But have done wreckdiving with the suit, including anchor lifting on my knees, and the suit survived :D

How many dives have you done now with the drysuit? Still dry?

I am now on 23 dives. Still dry. But with the high temperatures from last week, sweat makes also the inside wet :wink: But have done wreckdiving with the suit, including anchor lifting on my knees, and the suit survived :D

Yes! lol, that is something I have found with mine as well. It's like a tiny little rain cloud that follows you around. Not enough to make me overly cold or anything, but the condensation does build up a bit. I'm also using the Avatar undergarments so it might be different in something else.

All suits get wet inside with this temperatures. I have used the Avatar till now with the Avatar undergarment (I like it till 10 degrees C) and a 490 gramms tecline undersuit.

But how many dives have you done yet?

All suits get wet inside with this temperatures. I have used the Avatar till now with the Avatar undergarment (I like it till 10 degrees C) and a 490 gramms tecline undersuit.

But how many dives have you done yet?

Around 40-45. I’ve used it all season teaching, diving, and During skill practice.

Have seen it in the flesh, and am in the market for a 2nd suit (my DUI FLX will be relegated to spare). In september I did a number of tech dives in Croatia with a very experienced GUE diver from Germany who was diving one. He was happy with it, dove it with a Santi BZ200 as undersuit. I examined it a bit and has the same good cut as Santi, different fabric, less details than a santi suit though.

He was not to sure about the fabric, during one of the dives we planned to enter a wreck but in the end turned back because it was getting narrow and he was worried about leaks.

I tried one on, but in the end bought a Santi elite because I like to frollik about in wrecks (and caves).

Have seen it in the flesh, and am in the market for a 2nd suit (my DUI FLX will be relegated to spare). In september I did a number of tech dives in Croatia with a very experienced GUE diver from Germany who was diving one. He was happy with it, dove it with a Santi BZ200 as undersuit. I examined it a bit and has the same good cut as Santi, different fabric, less details than a santi suit though.

He was not to sure about the fabric, during one of the dives we planned to enter a wreck but in the end turned back because it was getting narrow and he was worried about leaks.

I tried one on, but in the end bought a Santi elite because I like to frollik about in wrecks (and caves).

I agree with all of this. The suit is made from a bi-laminate material and while I have had it deep inside some Great Lakes wrecks with no-issues, I would feel a bit more warm and fuzzy with a more robust suit (Elite +) if that was going to be your main areas of diving. With that said, the Avatar under suit and fourth element base layer kept me plenty warm on 41 degree dives and I only came out with a few light dust scuffs which were no issue at all for the suit. I believe proper buoyancy, trim, and situational awareness should be dialed in before one should worry about ripping a dry suit .

Nevertheless, I recommend this suit as a premium backup to those who find themselves in austere environments or the perfect REC1—Fundamentals dry suit for your training needs. It is also great for open water, and large wrecks/caves. In fact, I plan to add some wrist rings and dive the **** out of it which includes Cave 1 training before I go the Elite + route and by that times (a few seasons) Santi might have something even better.

Number of dives on the suit so far 97
One pin hole leak near crotch seam (aqua seal fix)
Temps 75 F to 41F (all comfortable)
Upgrades: Needs wrist rings IMHO, but wrist seals work fine.
9/10 still recommend and I believe I got way more suit for the price. E.g. The Mini Cooper line of Santi's BMW

The Article for those interested:

If you’re like me, coming to GUE has been both a rite of passage and a fantastic learning
experience. Researching GUE’s standardized equipment checklist becomes second nature, if not
an obsession. We all want to fit in, right? How many of us have emailed our GUE instructor at
odd hours of the night with obscure questions about p-valves or bolt snaps—things that should
probably not be in the same conversation.

Nevertheless, this compulsive research comes at a cost. Before ultimately coming to the
standardized configuration we now enjoy, many of us have spent a great deal of money on an
assortment of gear that now sits collecting dust in the garage.

But where do drysuits fit into the equation when you can dive wetsuits during Rec 1 and
Fundamentals or even afterward (conditions permitting)? We all see our instructors wearing
drysuits, and once we put them on and try them out, we end up wearing them because, honestly,
they just feel better. They are more comfortable, and to be comfortable in a down sleeping bag
underwater that you can pee in is cool.

However, as the amount of training increases, so does the cost of our equipment. Let’s face it:
drysuits are expensive, and honestly, it was one of my last investments because of that fact. But
we may have a new contender to help alleviate those wallet pains.
Let me introduce you to Avatar.
Avatar is the brainchild of Santi and SNT Marine, who have come together to develop a drysuit
that comes in standard sizes off the shelf, and it looks rad. Don’t let my 90s lingo convince
you—see for yourself.

The marketing for this drysuit boasts:

 Advanced ergonomic construction that eliminates four-way seams in the crotch and
underarm areas, giving you unrivaled mobility in this price range.
 Telescopic torso construction for the best body movement and adaptation underwater.
 Internal suspenders and a crotch strap to keep the suit in the proper position on your
body.
 Front-entry plastic zipper covered with a protective flap for convenient self-donning and
doffing of the suit.
 Oxford nylon reinforcements at the knees and elbows and a specially designed crotch pad
to enhance the durability and prevent abrasion in those areas.
 Neoprene warm-neck collar to keep you comfortable in colder water and to keep your
hood neat around the neck area.
 Two comfortable and spacious cargo pockets with bungee loops to secure your items.
The pockets are effortless to use with dry gloves.
 Comfortable and flexible neoprene boots and latex seals at neck and wrists with Apeks
inlet and outlet valves.

Sure, this all sounds wonderful—but does the suit measure up to the hype? The short answer
after I got my hands on it is not just “yes,” but “Heck YES!” This suit is fantastic, and I honestly
thought to myself, I feel bad for those folks who may have spent upwards of $3,000 on a
competitor’s version. From the outset, the color blew me away; it looks professional and feels
sturdy to the touch. The construction is solid, and all the seams, zippers, pockets, grommets, and
valves seem to be carefully thought out and placed. The bellow pockets are deep and perfectly fit
all your necessary working and non-working items (including a mask). The neoprene-reinforced
rubber sole boots give enough wiggle room for some thick wool or wicking socks, and I can
reach my valves flawlessly. Also, the suit comes standard with protection on the arm, crotch, and
knee areas that feels just as good as the Santi E.Motion+ fabric, something competitor suits at the
same level forgot about.

There are some caveats, but not many. The neck and wrist seals are glued; for a few hundred
dollars more, I think Avatar should include a field-replaceable system in a “Fundies Package” or
something similar (hint hint). I also believe fit may be an issue for some. These suits are not
made to measure, so they may not fit correctly for some. I am small but reasonably proportionate
at 5’7” and 168 lb, 32” waist and 31” inseam with a size 9 shoe; the medium fit me perfectly and
feels just right. However, this may not be your experience, and I would recommend trying one
on if you have a nearby dealer. Finally, the zipper path is the old school way of doing it, and now
that I have tried on the E.Motion+, I wish they had used the new style. Some may like it, though,
so this is more of a personal gripe.

All things considered, at $1,299.00, I think Avatar hit the ball out of the park with this suit. This
is the type of equipment our new teammates can buy with confidence and at a price point that
will allow them to pursue more training and garner the skills needed to comfortably progress
along the GUE training path.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom