Changes in pressure and menstrual flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the medical side of it, sounds like you need to be checked by a doctor for what could be a whole host of problems. On the diving side of it, if you're a member of DAN, call them. They are a great resource. In the past when this was an issue for me, I would plan my diving around that time of the month. Thankfully, I no longer have to worry about it.:yeahbaby:

All I can say is thank god for menopause. I’ll deal with the hot flashes. So much easier to handle than the heavy flow from having endometriosis and having to have stashes of supplies everywhere.

I never noticed an increase to my flow when I'm diving. And luckily for me, when I was at Lake Titicaca, Machu Picchu, and Lima a few years ago I did not have my period.

I'm a recent addition to the diving world, so I haven't had to dive while on my period. I'd like to know, how do pressure changes affect the flow, if at all?

I've only had one previous experience involving a big difference in pressure owing to altitude, when I spent a month near Titicaca Lake, Bolivia (around 3,800 m / 12,500 feet). I've always had moderate flow during my period, but when it happened there, I had to buy two new sets of trousers and knickers because no matter how often I changed my sanitary pads, they would be hugely overflown, and I run out of clean clothes. At last, I decided to stay for two whole days reading a novel while sitting on the loo until it subsided into something manageable. After that, I was left with something resembling one of my worst (longest, wettest) periods.

I don't know whether this is the normal reaction to altitude, but that's what happened to me. I believe that when diving I'd be in the opposite situation (more pressure, instead of less), but after that experience, I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Hi @ElizaDoolittle ,

If this was a one-time event it's probably not related to fibroids or other chronic conditions. There is some evidence that ties a deficiency of hypoxia-induceable factor (HIF) 1-alpha (a hormone) to heavy menstrual bleeding. HIF-1 alpha is upregulated during periods of hypoxia (e.g. while at altitude), so if you're mildly deficient in that hormone, the altitude *may* have been a factor, but that's sheer speculation from a guy who's neither a gynecologist nor an endocrinologist. It could also have been a miscarriage as other posters have others have suggested. I don't think I'd be terribly concerned about it for diving, but of course, monitor yourself and seek medical attention if you experience any alarming symptoms.

Best regards,
DDM

external pressure has effect on spaces filled with gas, it does not have any significant effect on spaces filled with liquid. Because your cardio-vascular system is closed circuit system which filled with liquid and all gasses are completely dissolved in it, diving or flying will not change your blood pressure or intensity of your menstrual flow. Study shows that only outdoor temperature and blood pressure are strongly correlated and that mostly in people older than 80 years of age. If i have to guess, I would say that it has something to do with coagulation of your blood.

external pressure has effect on spaces filled with gas, it does not have any significant effect on spaces filled with liquid. Because your cardio-vascular system is closed circuit system which filled with liquid and all gasses are completely dissolved in it, diving or flying will not change your blood pressure or intensity of your menstrual flow. Study shows that only outdoor temperature and blood pressure are strongly correlated and that mostly in people older than 80 years of age. If i have to guess, I would say that it has something to do with coagulation of your blood.

I think that you shouldn't guess, Mr. Kaveman. :)

I'm taking this opportunity to remind the males reading this thread, that it is posted under Women's Perspectives.

Yes, males are certainly allowed to comment if they so desire but the thread is intended for women to discuss women's concerns.

That wasn't entirely because of concern when diving was it? More like preferring to be on vacation without having to fuss, am I right?
You are correct...I planned it so I didn't have to mess with the mess. When I was a new diver, though, I thought that sharks would be attracted to the scent of blood, and nobody I knew could dispel the myth. I've since learned that's an urban legend. I had similar problems to the OP with excruciating pain and I was anemic from the massive blood loss. Got a hysterectomy 4 years ago and, oh, how much easier life has been!!

This isn't strictly a female issue so this may be best broken off into a separate thread if it goes any further than this, but the statement that diving does not affect blood pressure is technically incorrect. Blood pressure increases with immersion; cold water augments this effect.

May I ask what led to your conclusion about the OP's coagulation?

Best regards,
DDM

I'm taking this opportunity to remind the males reading this thread, that it is posted under Women's Perspectives.

Yes, males are certainly allowed to comment if they so desire but the thread is intended for women to discuss women's concerns.

Good reminder! I typically try and leave this forum for the ladies. Occasionally there are topics of interest that I read as a fly on the wall to learn more about the unique diving challenges of the better sex.

Oh, I didn't expect so many answers in such a short time! Thanks a lot!

No, if there's something I know for sure, it's that I wasn't pregnant at the time. I can't have been a miscarriage.

My periods are on the "good" side of it all. I'm very, very regular. My periods always start every fourth Friday around midday. As a matter of fact, I don't bother wearing a sanitary pad until 11am. My flow is very reasonable: on the first two days, I change my pad every four hours, but only because my skin gets sore otherwise. In circumstances where a change wasn't easy to do, I've remained up to ten or twelve hours with the same pad, without overflow problems. After that, it's two more days with a very weakt flow, and that's all. I've never had a hurtful period in my life (not while I was on it, not on the previous days). Check ups have never shown anything strange. Though it could be something related with that HIF-1 alpha, if it's something that doesn't show in any other situation.

I've always thought that that time up in Lake Titicaca was a one-time affair, and the only reason I could attribute it to was altitude. After all, I was warned while on the plane that on arriving in La Paz my nose might bleed. It's only after the big disaster happened that I associated that warning with blood flow in general. I didn't see it coming (maybe because my nose didn't bleed after all, though one of my friends' did).

This was some ten years ago, and I haven't had any other problem since then, the same as I had never had them before. I hadn't given this a second thought until I've found myself again doing something that involves big changes in pressure.

I'm not worried about the health side of this issue (though maybe I should!). I was thinking more on the lines of carrying a trolley full of sanitary pads or a nappy to wear in the ship between dives!

Back
Top Bottom