Need feedback on 1st BP/W for scientific diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And that's why I came on here for feedback, for insights like this. The stagnation is real, not much opportunity for me to learn in my current circumstances since I'm consistently diving the same gear, same people, and same kind of working dives. Switching to a BP/W from a back inflate has been a bonanza of new info.
Hey, @RJChen Here is a photo of my "Ocean Tuxedo." I suppose something like this is suitable for Scientific diving. (Although, it doesn't come in White.) :p
View media item 209703Apex WTX6R Dual bladder. 60 lbs lift.
The transition from a Zeagle back inflate to a BP/W will be seamless for you. I highly recommend the S.S. Backplate.
Cheers.

@RJChen - @Jim Lapenta gives great advice. I’d use him as a start point to build your foundation of understanding and then branch out from there if you don’t feel you’ve reached an adequate point to make a decision.

I don’t know Jim and have no connection with him other than reading his posts here. I find them to be vetted and reliable.

A great majority of the rest of us just make up weird stuff and lob it into cyberspace to see if it will stick. He does not.

If you are planning on diving with NOAA, be aware they have some quite specific gear requirements. I don't think it would extend to your choice of BPW/BC, but it'll affect weighting and other configurations. They specifically require a RASS on all dives, unless things have changed in the last couple years. So that will be a tank mounted pony with full 1st and 2nd stage. You may have some dives that will only require a spare air, but I'm pretty sure all the divers at the Flower Gardens NMS office use a full RASS for all dives.

With your build, I would certainly recommend an AL plate over steel, especially with the possibility of carrying extra weight of sampling gear. Aside from marine archaeology projects, I don't know of any type of sampling that would be advantageous for you to be negatively buoyant. I'm sure there are some, but they would be the exception to the rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom