Frecking HP hose leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again I ask:

Do I see an o-ring on the transmitter fitting? Should it be there when using a hose?

If replacing the seals don't work, try a different type of spool. There are a few different types of spools-you may just have to find the correct one.

I just found the following video by Suunto on youtube.com that shows the transmitter being mounted on a HP hose, o-ring on the threaded fitting included:

My guess is it should be remain there but I will test without submerging to see if it seals. It fcould be that Suunto mucked up when they made the video.

My plan is to take the transmitter to the dive shop when I go back later this week after they have a chance to test the hose I dropped off this evening...this way different spools can be test fit.

-Z

OK We're getting somewhere.

It's fine if to let your LDS to sort this out if you trust them-I don't mean that they would necessarily be dishonest, but we all make mistakes.

Before you invest in another hose try the following. With the spool and two good, lubricated o-rings in hand first try the transmitter mounted to the original hose without the large o-ring.

If no joy, try a different type of spool. See the picture below for examples of three different types. There are probably more than 3 types, but that's all I have.

Last and most expensive is another hose.

3 SPG spool types.jpg

OK We're getting somewhere.

It's fine if to let your LDS to sort this out if you trust them-I don't mean that they would necessarily be dishonest, but we all make mistakes.

Before you invest in another hose try the following. With the spool and two good, lubricated o-rings in hand first try the transmitter mounted to the original hose without the large o-ring.

If no joy, try a different type of spool. See the picture below for examples of three different types. There are probably more than 3 types, but that's all I have.

Last and most expensive is another hose.

View attachment 616332

I already dropped off the hose in question at the local dive shop and they sent me home with a replacement of another brand to test. The hose I dropped off and the hose they gave me are both roughly 6-inches in length (not that it matters), the older hose I have, that had a similar problem, is a 9-inch version of the same brand of hose (Scubatec) as the 6-inch version I brought back to the shop.

I took the new 6-inch hose and mounted the transmitter with and without the size 012 o-ring on it, attached it to a 1st stage and put on a tank and submerged....no bubbles. I was able to swivel the fitting when charged with and without the o-ring, both configurations took the same amount of effort.

I did the same with the old Scubatec 9-inch hose I fished out and it was slowly trickling out bubbles.

My wife's transmitter is on a 6-inch DGX hose...no problem but it is a new setup for her...I am both hoping and not expecting any problems with hers.

The SPG that was mounted on the older 9-inch hose that leaks has the same type of spool as the left most in your picture (the one with the center flange), that leak is what originally led to the replacement of that hose. The suunto transmitter uses a spool similar to the one in the center. The o-rings I am using are size 003 (90 shore).

I think the issue may be the Scubatec hoses. I didn't realize the old 9-inch hose was the same brand as the 6-inch one that I was having a problem with Sunday. Perhaps the shop will replace both Scubatec hoses when I go back.

-Z

I found this thread...apparently someone else, a few years ago, was having a similar problem that led to similar questions:

Suunto Transmitter on a 6" hose, does type of HP spool matter?

The Suunto rep who responded in the linked thread indicated that the transmitter o-ring can remain on the transmitter if mounted directly to a 1st stage or to a HP hose.

This is seeming more and more like a hose brand issue. I hoping the shop replaces the pair of Scubatec hoses...I am willing to purchase the non-scubatec one to have as a spare and as a good faith gesture to the dive shop.

-Z

Good find.

However, rather than throwing away a perfectly good hose why not test it?

Install a known good SPG with the correct spool and check for leaks. If none found, the hose is not bad. It may not be compatible with your transmitter, but you may be able to use it elsewhere.

Good find.

However, rather than throwing away a perfectly good hose why not test it?

Install a known good SPG with the correct spool and check for leaks. If none found, the hose is not bad. It may not be compatible with your transmitter, but you may be able to use it elsewhere.

The scubatec hoses, both 9 and 6 inch leaked with my brase and glass spg with the flanged spool.

I am not trying to throw away a hose, I am hoping the shop will replace them as they don't seem compatible with my kit. I am willingnro but a spare for my save a dive kit to entice this if need be.

-Z

@happy-diver, what is the issue with the type of hose in the 2nd photo you posted?

The fittings are flimsy with the 9/16 nut containing less than half the brass of a good solid one
When they first appeared they came with a very soft hose that would flatten out and kink easily
with the o rings also of very poor quality that would develop cracks whilst in stock at the shop

I bought a couple of 1200 long ones for back mounted pony bottles recently and whilst the hose
was of better quality and you can change orings and the fittings won't kill you I sent them back

Now we'd all be better off with solid brass nuts

the fitting even sounds tinny

full.jpg

photo is not a good indicator

One like that, not p15s like this

Cheers!

From a dozen i grabbed here are seven different ones

full.jpg

But you really have to make sure the spg is clean where the mini rubber and grease explosions occur

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom