Equipment Training vs Equipment Manuals...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frankly, I've always been impressed with all the "TekTips" DGX has their web pages. They are far and above more informative than anything other retail places provide. Someone had to put in gobs of man hours to write them all. And we're not talking piddly "how to" stuff. They wrote a whole comparison of deco algorithms!

Totally agree! I empathize with DGX for their customer woes, but in my opinion the TekTips help DGX stand out from the crowd.

What is our responsibility to the customer? Should we produce ever more detailed manuals and videos to explain without supervision, or is the more responsible action instead to direct the customer to seek more individual training and/or mentoring (which usually just makes them angry because our documentation is "inadequate".)
I think that's a simple "business decision." Is it going to cost you more to produce the training videos/provide over the phone assitance or to give refunds for gear that a user doesn't know how to use it? I'm sure you could in some cases refuse a refund, but any savvy customer would pursue things like chargebacks and it would get ugly.

Maybe the answer is both. Depends on if you can afford to lose the sale(s) and how costly you consider whatever your problem resolution to be.

@DiveGearExpress

Oh man, I love your company and the great service I've always received. I don't know what you can do about a lack of common sense (dive lights flooding) or poor training (turning on the valve).

Just keep doing what you are doing.

@DiveGearExpress Some local dive shops in my area require new customers to demonstrate that they know how to use the equipment being sold, by showing a C-card. I wonder if it is possible for you to do the same? I can't speak to the pros and cons of that for your largely online business model, just wondering if that option is on the table.

By the way, I am a very happy customer of yours, and +1 the Tek Tips being very useful. DGX is great, I have exactly zero complaints.

I'm not at all mechanically inclined. The descriptions of equipment and how to work/assemble it in the PADI OW manual along with the training from the instructor was more than enough for me. More detailed instruction from either the instructor or manufacturers doesn't seem to be needed.
If someone doesn't know they need to turn their tank on that is cause to wonder....

What is our responsibility to the customer? Should we produce ever more detailed manuals and videos to explain without supervision, or is the more responsible action instead to direct the customer to seek more individual training and/or mentoring (which usually just makes them angry because our documentation is "inadequate".)

Well, most regulator manuals can now be had on the interwebs, for those willing to invest the time; and there are even threads, here, which offer them, from time to time. Some European dealers, Divestock, for example, on the Baltic, offer innumerable manuals, on their site.

All things being equal -- I still prefer the sheer poetry of the DGX site. Keats; or is it Blake?

"Availability of sub-assemblies and components, repair parts, specialized tools and maintenance manuals does not imply qualification to assemble and/or service scuba equipment. Service by other than an authorized dealer voids the warranty on all products we sell. Improper service of dive equipment can lead to serious injury or death . . ."

@DiveGearExpress

Ignorance can be educated, but stupid can't be fixed. Unfortunately, you seem to have gotten stuck with stupid. Those sort of customers are the reasons for the idiotic warning labels on many items these days.

Just keep doing what you have been doing. Also love the TekTips.

Totally agree! I empathize with DGX for their customer woes, but in my opinion the TekTips help DGX stand out from the crowd.
Agree... the TekTips are very comprehensive and really help DGX strand out as an independent professional resource vs the tendency toward manufacturer advertorials on other sites.
Please don't change your business model!

@DiveGearExpress

Ignorance can be educated, but stupid can't be fixed. Unfortunately, you seem to have gotten stuck with stupid. Those sort of customers are the reasons for the idiotic warning labels on many items these days.

Just keep doing what you have been doing. Also love the TekTips.
Unfortunately, everyone else seems in our society (USA) to be vulnerable to being punished for not protecting stupid from stupid's own actions/choices.

@DiveGearExpress a little elitism may actually be to your (sanity) benefit. "Purveyor of equipment to educated and discerning diver" or some such tag line.

All that said, there are elements of equipment characteristics and usage that go far beyond any general training. Thanks for the TekTips! I've found them very helpful in my own personal education.

I'll try to save my stupid questions for public chastisement on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom