Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedantics aside. By this definition if I use a USB cable extension for my Bluetooth dongle, it's not wireless transfer either?

I kind of agree. But, if you use a USB cable for your Bluetooth dongle, you still don't have to set your Bluetooth computer into a cradle or make any other physical connection between the computer and the receiver.

Just because the Giotto receiver doesn't have a plug that you insert into a receptacle in the dive computer doesn't mean you aren't still making a physical connection. Not quite the same as a BT computer and BT dongle on the end of a USB cable.

Pedantics aside. By this definition if I use a USB cable extension for my Bluetooth dongle, it's not wireless transfer either?
Can you set your dive computer on one side of your lunch plate and your phone on the other, and download over lunch? With no wires crossing your lunch plate? if so, it is wireless.
I'll counter your accusation of pendantry with an accusation of sloppiness in the use of language, and trying to redefine for your own purposes terms that are already well-defined but don't match your needs. (Where is that emojii for sticking one's tongue out?)

Can you set your dive computer on one side of your lunch plate and your phone on the other, and download over lunch? With no wires crossing your lunch plate? if so, it is wireless.
I'll counter your accusation of pendantry with an accusation of sloppiness in the use of language, and trying to redefine for your own purposes terms that are already well-defined but don't match your needs. (Where is that emojii for sticking one's tongue out?)

Good lord.

What is also well defined is that I don't give enough sheets to wallow around in this pit this with you.

I don't know of any current dive computer that uses anything but Bluetooth for wireless downloading. Is there one currently in production that uses something else?

Yes, Garmin Descent MK1, it uses also WiFi!

Some interesting things here...

1. I don’t know if a device that is only capable of receiving radio broadcasts is required to go through FCC testing. I assume this is required for devices that have a transmitter only. Bluetooth of course is bidirectional, while the passive scanning of a PPS transmitter would not be. Looking at Shearwater for example, I only see listings for the Teric, and what I assume is it’s Wireless charging components https://fccid.io/2AO24. The lack of listing doesn’t rule out the possibility of the watch supporting PPS transmitters.

2. I think I found an accidental listing for the watch at this site here: Garmin Descent™ Mk2 Dive Computer Series - Neptonics. It seems to confirm that there will be atleast a sonar transmitter.

It could be an improvement over the PPS transmitter, but given that everyone owns a Shearwater, it would be naive of Garmin to only support a transmitter that isn’t an industry standard yet. Given their support of Ant+, I really hope that this isn’t the case.

Looks like they pulled the page, I snagged a few photos before. The prices were $1299 and $1499 respectively, transmitter not included.
banner.jpg

mk2i.jpg

Good lord.

What is also well defined is that I don't give enough sheets to wallow around in this pit this with you.

Rumour is you could actually aim it very carefully at the IR eye back when Macs had IR eyes, and had it work over your lunch plate without the horrible cradle on the dreaded wire getting tangled up in your spaghetti...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom