Hurricane warning for tomorrow night!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feeling pretty bumb'd out about canceling this morning for what was to be an awesome week of diving starting on Sat. But am looking at the satellite pict's, the NHC graphics and also remembering Wilma. I don't think I really need that type of excitement anymore. I will really miss that blue tortas truck though. Oh well Coz will still be there for me. New swim thru's and new adventures await!!!

I haven't cancelled yet but after cancelling our trip to Kauai in April due to Covid I am really starting to feel it. I will be on the mainland and will most likely be diving cenotes so the trip may be salvageable if the hotel doesn't experience major damage. It does look to be right in the path :(

As long as Southwest, Ado, and whichever ferry can pull it off, I'll be there on the 27th. Anything I should stock up on to bring down?

Jay

145 MPH winds are serious but everyone must remember those winds are measured in the eye wall at altitude and the actual ground speed of those winds can be considerably lower due to ground friction. Furthermore, the eye of this hurricane is only about 6 miles wide and wind speed decreases rapidly away from the eye wall. Hurricane force winds are winds of 74+ MPH and they extend a way from the eye wall followed by tropical storm force winds that are 39-73 MPH that can cover a very wide area. The key is you don't want to be the person who can walk outside and look around as the eye passes over you (which Coz experienced during Wilma). The media is pounding the table that this is the "Worst since Wilma" but Wilma was a very different and slow moving storm with its eye passing directly over Coz. I predict this storm will have a minimal impact on Coz compared to Wilma even if Coz is directly hit by the eye. We are still several hours out and with an eye that is 6 miles wide there is still a great deal of space on the projected path that says Coz won't take a direct hit from that eye wall.

I'll post my prediction now and if I'm wrong everyone can flame me. I predict Coz does not experience a direct eye wall hit and the damage that Delta may inflict on Coz will be minimal... No reason whatsoever to cancel vacation plans that are out 2 weeks from now.

It’s predictions like that above that cause death and injury...74mph winds are bad enough...140, devastating!
If you truly want to know the power of a hurricane, just keep an eye on the barometric pressure and the isobars....

hunker down my friends...our thoughts are with each of you on the island.

It’s predictions like that above that cause death and injury...74mph winds are bad enough...140, devastating!
If you truly want to know the power of a hurricane, just keep an eye on the barometric pressure and the isobars....

hunker down my friends...our thoughts are with each of you on the island.

I guess we'll all be arm chair quarterbacks who aren't there right now to experience it. 74 MPH winds are bad enough? My home on the VA shore is subjected to 80+ MPH winds from storms several times a year and there is no damage. Maybe living in NYC you don't experience wind like that on a regular basis. Coz locals are taking all precautions because most remember Wilma and they should. Personally, I've been in enough hurricane cones and watched the projected path dance around on the Outer Banks of NC and Virginia Beach over the years to know that the odds of taking a direct hit are minimal. Furthermore, most everything constructed in the past 25 years in USA's high wind / hurricane zones is designed to take 100-110 MPH sustained winds. As a former home builder in these zones the homes I built homes were of bricks and sticks and they all were built to take sustained winds of 110 MPH. In Coz and throughout the Caribbean concrete is the common building material and those structures can take far higher winds than the bricks and sticks we commonly build with in the USA.

As with any storm, there will be power outages, connectivity will down for a while and debris will need to be cleaned up but I posted what I posted. By this time tomorrow we'll see who was right and who was wrong.

I don't believe I offered any predictions? I wouldn't as outside of track, its a coin toss as to what happens each moment during its life....

those structures can take far higher winds than the bricks
Some bricks are involved there and will be flying tonight. I had the same walk from a 5th Ave hotel to Casa Mexicana every morning until I saw a big piece of slate or something had fell onto the sidewalk sometime. I started walking the other side of the street.

The narrow eye is gonna help, time will tell. As of 9:30 here, we just had a little wind burst, very little and a burst of rain - lasted a few minutes is all. Otherwise all quite, so quite, you can still hear people hammering and cutting away at things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom