CCR Selection priorities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what does the soft manifold do, provide redundant dil if one of the first stages goes?

All of your offboard bailout now becomes onboard dil and bailouot. It's set up just like backmount, so you have a long and short hose like doubles. It frees up your sides and also means on a boat you can just gear up and go and not have to worry about separate dil bottles.

Jon lives near Tulum, I think he's got other things to be concerned with versus posting on scuba board. It may be a few days before he gets back to you.

In terms of the "GUE Config" -- I sometimes run my Fathom that way. It's great for diving off boats and decent for cave diving.

Yeah, safe and sound now, but will be a bit busy over the next day or so. Happy to put together a little write up if the pros/cons of backmounted bailout soon, though. Reassembling a house and getting back in the water take priority, though! :)

One thing that hasn't been addressed that is on my list, is the identity and ease of forgetting the Widow Maker. All the units I've dove, tried in the pool, or at least have seen a detailed enough build have something somewhere that you can forget or misplace that will not affect a positive or negative test, but will still kill you. They are usually o-rings separating the inhale side from the exhale side. On the inspo it is the scrubber can o-ring. On the SF2 it is the o-ring on the nut that keeps the bottom of the head plate attached. On a MK15 it is the duct tape/ inner tube that keeps the scrubber together (!). Old megs had the string hack that could get trapped and cause bypass. I don't remember what it was on the drager units.

I've had JJ users swear there isn't one on a JJ. I don't believe them, but I've only ever seen a fully built one, so what do I know? There has to be somewhere that the exhale side goes into the scrubber, and the scrubber goes to the exhale side that isn't exposed to ambient pressure, so it won't be caught in a pos/neg test.

Nope. JJ has no area not checked in pos/neg test. Unless you want to include the second oring on the can. But that's just a wiper to protect the true seal below it. Or I guess you can include a tear in the mouthpiece.

EDIT: You're right! If the scrubber o-ring is completely omitted, you might have CO2 breakthrough with no fail on the +/- test. But only if the scrubber isn't screwed completely onto the head. Otherwise, the oring is almost unnecessary.
My workaround is to pull all three orings (can x 2 and scrubber) at the same time. They're 1/4" apart, so when they're reinstalled, the omission should be obvious.

One thing that hasn't been addressed that is on my list, is the identity and ease of forgetting the Widow Maker. All the units I've dove, tried in the pool, or at least have seen a detailed enough build have something somewhere that you can forget or misplace that will not affect a positive or negative test, but will still kill you. They are usually o-rings separating the inhale side from the exhale side. On the inspo it is the scrubber can o-ring. On the SF2 it is the o-ring on the nut that keeps the bottom of the head plate attached. On a MK15 it is the duct tape/ inner tube that keeps the scrubber together (!). Old megs had the string hack that could get trapped and cause bypass. I don't remember what it was on the drager units.

I've had JJ users swear there isn't one on a JJ. I don't believe them, but I've only ever seen a fully built one, so what do I know? There has to be somewhere that the exhale side goes into the scrubber, and the scrubber goes to the exhale side that isn't exposed to ambient pressure, so it won't be caught in a pos/neg test.

I can’t think of anything like that on a rEvo. Is there one that I’m missing?

I can’t think of anything like that on a rEvo. Is there one that I’m missing?
I'm not super familiar with the revo, but I would think one end or the other of the scubbers? Is that an o-ring at the bottom of the scrubber canister? If so what happens if you leave it out?

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 12.35.15 PM.png

I'm not super familiar with the revo, but I would think one end or the other of the scubbers? Is that an o-ring at the bottom of the scrubber canister? If so what happens if you leave it out?

View attachment 616736

Nope. That's just a groove. No O-rings involved in inserting or removing the scrubber baskets. Other than the 4 that are on the outsides of the 2 openings that the scrubber cover goes over. But, if any of those 4 O-rings goes, it's not going to leak inhale to exhale. It's going to leak to the water outside (i.e. fail a negative).

Honestly, I'm waiting for the 'agency that shall not be named' to adopt that flex manifold and create an approved OC sidemount configuration. :-D

Assuming we're talking about GUE? They already have an OC SM config. It's fairly traditional. I'll post a course report next month after I do it.

Nope. JJ has no area not checked in pos/neg test. Unless you want to include the second oring on the can. But that's just a wiper to protect the true seal below it. Or I guess you can include a tear in the mouthpiece.

EDIT: You're right! If the scrubber o-ring is completely omitted, you might have CO2 breakthrough with no fail on the +/- test. But only if the scrubber isn't screwed competed onto the head. Otherwise, the oring is almost unnecessary.
My workaround is to pull all three orings (can x 2 and scrubber) at the same time. They're 1/4" apart, so when they're reinstalled, the omission should be obvious.

Yeah, the CO2 o ring is basically a backup. If you had the head fully screwed into the scrubber you probably wouldn't even notice it was gone.

Back
Top Bottom