Hurricane warning for tomorrow night!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The island fared very well. Storm
Was downgraded to a Cat 3 last night about 11:00 before making its ascent into the Yucatán. Cozumel did not get a direct hit as the small eye passed. Roth of the island. Cancun and Isla Mujeres got the brunt of the storm and the direct hit. Flooding, debris and power outages (although not island wide) which were expected. No severe damage noted. I cannot figure out to upload video or photo clips From My phone here but have uploaded to our Facebook page @BlueXtSeaDivers
Thanks for the quick update. Good news!!! When do you think diving will be back up? How did the airport fair? A bunch of us were scheduled to be on island Sat. afternoon.

It's almost as if the island has seen this a time or two and knows how to prepare.

It's almost as if the island has seen this a time or two and knows how to prepare.
You don't say...

Stuff like this makes me think about places like NY that aren't prepared. I remember them getting a little cat1 a couple years ago and hearing about flooding and actual deaths.

You don't say...

Stuff like this makes me think about places like NY that aren't prepared. I remember them getting a little cat1 a couple years ago and hearing about flooding and actual deaths.
Helloooooooo? Did you ever hear about Sandy?

Helloooooooo? Did you ever hear about Sandy?
Exactly what I was thinking of except I couldn't remember the name. It was only an 80mph cat1 when it laid waste to NY.

Exactly what I was thinking of except I couldn't remember the name. It was only an 80mph cat1 when it laid waste to NY.
It was the SURGE that caused massive damage! I was out of my 30 floor office building for 3 month due to water damage. The lobby had 5 feet of standing water and there was a parking garage underneath!!!!!!!!!

It was the SURGE that caused massive damage! I was out of my 30 floor office building for 3 month due to water damage. The lobby had 5 feet of standing water and there was a parking garage underneath!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I was just highlighting the fact that the Mexicans were so well prepared that a much bigger storm went over and apparently caused so little damage. It was supposed to be a kudos for them, not an insult to anyone.

Yeah, pretty much 1/2 of NYC resides above ground and the other 1/2 below ground (and below sea level) which isn't a good thing when it comes to hurricanes as they have and will continue to make it to New York, Rhode Island, etc. Just look at the Great New England Hurricane of 1938.

Chicago also had the Great Chicago Loop Flood of 1992 (not from a hurricane but someone driving an underwater piling where they shouldn't have and puncturing the city's underground loop). Whatever is below sea level and in close proximity to the sea (or a lake in this instance) is at risk.

I think @kelemvor is also forgetting about Hurricane Irene which also hit NJ. Sandy (Oct 2012) was a wind driven storm surge causing widespread damage and flooding. Irene (August 2011) didn't have much in the way of winds but it dumped 11 inches of rain in a few hours causing very severe local flooding.

No upsets here just pointing out that there is very little in the way of preparation for these 2 storms that hit barely a year apart. Hurricane Delta doesn't look to be that big of a storm anyway and being as fast moving as it is it doesn't have time to do much damage. Delta has already moved past the Yucatan peninsula and is in the Gulf.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I was just highlighting the fact that the Mexicans were so well prepared that a much bigger storm went over and apparently caused so little damage. It was supposed to be a kudos for them, not an insult to anyone.
Oh no, I wasn't upset....I've been through a few disasters around the world...Sandy was much more distributive to others than I! No power below 33rd street for weeks, were up in the 70's...it was life as usual there.

Back
Top Bottom