Hurricane warning for tomorrow night!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:(:mad::confused::eek:
Louisiana has had ENOUGH!
I bet you just want them to geaux away??? :D :D :D

I think this will be hurricane 5 or 6 this year alone?

Sandy was much more distributive
I remember Sandy when it kissed the Keys. It blew my chair over and screwed up diving for a day or so...

29061813.jpg

I think you did somehow. I looked at that site and it says Puerto Morales too.
In Puerto Morelos there was lots of wind, not so much water. Power is out, at least in places.

More than just a chair in NY?
The Keys are built a lot stronger than anywhere else on this planet. Many stores in Key Largo will stay open if the storm is only Cat 3 or smaller. A true Hurricane House will be on concrete stilts with steel shutters and have a poured concrete roof. They get a bad one every 30 years or so, unlike poor La. :(

Thanks for the quick update. Good news!!! When do you think diving will be back up? How did the airport fair? A bunch of us were scheduled to be on island Sat. afternoon.

Come on down - diving will resume tomorrow or Friday at the latest - process of getting boats back in the water has already begun. Airport is fine. As I said before, anyone who cancelled before the storm hit for a trip beyond today was really premature.

This storm wasn't strong enough or lengthy enough to damage the reefs. Not every storm is WIlma - the reason Wilma was so devastating was that it WAS a CAT 5 and the eye wall sat right on top of us for 50+ hours AS a CAT 5 - it was not a typical hurricane.

In Cozumel we have almost all concrete buildings and there never is any surge (deep water) so stilts and stairs are not needed. This one got most floors wet by driving rain…but that is why they are tile and are easy to squeegee out. Some streets in the hood do get wet which slows down the mopeds.

All in all, given the lack of surge I'd rather endure a big storm here than anywhere.

Dave Dillehay
Cozumel

The Keys are built a lot stronger than anywhere else on this planet.
I remember a story about a contractor who built new, iron reinforced concrete buildings there, but since water was scarce - he used sea water to mix the concrete. Those didn't fair well.

DFW to CZM is still on sc
Come on down - diving will resume tomorrow or Friday at the latest - process of getting boats back in the water has already begun. Airport is fine. As I said before, anyone who cancelled before the storm hit for a trip beyond today was really premature.

This storm wasn't strong enough or lengthy enough to damage the reefs. Not every storm is WIlma - the reason Wilma was so devastating was that it WAS a CAT 5 and the eye wall sat right on top of us for 50+ hours AS a CAT 5 - it was not a typical hurricane.
I just checked and the AA flight from DFW is still scheduled for tomorrow, several of this afternoons to CUN have been delayed until AM plus the regular flights are all scheduled. Looks like a two day event, day of prep, night of rain, day of recover. El Norte's often cause more of an effect on diving.

@Dave Dillehay slight off topic story. One of our first trips to Mexico was to Isla Mujeres with our then 2 year old. It was fun for her riding in a trike from the port to the hotel and tooling around in a golf cart all week, that is until the storm hit. It wasn't so bad except that the door of the room faced the direction of the wind which drove about 2 inches of water into the room for a night or so. I didn't mind but not everyone is as relaxed as I.

Back on track...

I didn't cancel my trip yet but waited until I got word from the ground (thank you all down there for real-time info) as well as from the resort just south of Puerto Morelos which probably got hit with the eye who replied:

"We are very pleased to share that our property has only been minumally affected, with just fallen trees and cables. All public areas are currently been cleaned of all the debris. We expect that if weather continues to imprive, all of our services will gradually reopen by tomorrow as safety measures deem appropriate."​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom