Recommendations for Puget Sound and Hood Canal Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, cove 2.

Cove 2 is part of Seacrest Park on the Elliot Bay side of Alki and is not tide or current sensitive. Alki Junkyard is another site on the outside (Puget Sound side) of Alki and is more current sensitive -- I try to dive Alki Junkyard near slack current.

One more question: apparently there are municipal ordinances or some such thing in some of these places about not diving solo. Is anyone coming out to do actual enforcement of that?

One more question: apparently there are municipal ordinances or some such thing in some of these places about not diving solo. Is anyone coming out to do actual enforcement of that?
AFAIK, only Edmonds Underwater Park. Otherwise have at it.

AFAIK, only Edmonds Underwater Park. Otherwise have at it.
I'm certainly not an expert in the area of jurisdiction over coastal waters, but I do not believe local governments have the legal authority to enforce what happens or doesn't happen below mean low tide line. The State of WA does have authority between the mean low and mean high tide lines, but again this is the state, not the local government,

Here is a good link: https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/oceancommission/documents/full_color_rpt/03a_primer.pdf

I'm certainly not an expert in the area of jurisdiction over coastal waters, but I do not believe local governments have the legal authority to enforce what happens or doesn't happen below mean low tide line. The State of WA does have authority between the mean low and mean high tide lines, but again this is the state, not the local government,

Here is a good link: https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/oceancommission/documents/full_color_rpt/03a_primer.pdf

I'm sure that no one has ever challenged the legality of the city's rules for the park. I'm not going to be the first one. I'm pretty sure you will get arrested if caught. You can argue in court about it if you like, but in all seriousness, those are the rules unless you want to pay attorney fees and spend a lot of time in court.

The city does do a lot to support the park. It has been Bruce Higgin's baby and he's always open to volunteers helping with creating new features or renovating existing ones that just are not cutting it.

My advice is to just adhere to the regulations. No dive scooters are allowed. I don't know how many times I've been out there, and I have my favorite spots that I keep going back to, but I have yet to see all of the park. Due to the size, a dive scooter would be nice to explore, but it isn't allowed, and Bruce will give me an ass chewing if I'm caught.

But he can't catch you if you have a DPV and he doesn't!
But the Edmonds PD is known to be trigger happy. They can shoot below where my bubbles hit the surface.

I just wanted to drop a quick thank you to everyone for sharing all this information!!! You guys are awesome.

I own a sailboat over in Port Orchard that I'll be living aboard starting this March. I only dive the tropics but i think it's about time i expanded my mind and started diving up in the PNW. Great opportunity for me to shoot some fresh nudis species.

Is there a LDS in the bremerton , Port Orchard area that you would recommend for me to take my drysuit course?

Is there a LDS in the bremerton , Port Orchard area that you would recommend for me to take my drysuit course?
My "go to" recommendation for dive shops in the area is 8 Diving in Des Moines, but they are on the other side of the sound from you. If you make the trek over here, all of the instructors at 8 will give you a very solid education not just in diving in drysuits, but the other aspects of cold water diving (e.g. low visibility) that will help you be more comfortable and safe.

On the west side of the sound, you may want to look at YSS Dive in Hoodsport. You would be training on Hood Canal where a lot of the great diving in the area is. I've used them for tank fills while over on Hood Canal and they are very nice people -- I just don't have any experience training with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom