Where to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello guys and gals,
I am ready to make the purchase of my new shearwater Teric. My question is where to buy. Online or in store. Online (amazon)for watch and transmitter is $1445 tax free. At my local shop I’ll have to pay taxes. My shop is cool with me buying it online being that they can’t match the tax free issue. But as far as warranty or support. Has anyone purchased through Amazon and anyone required service or repairs. How did that go.

Hello guys and gals,
I am ready to make the purchase of my new shearwater Teric. My question is where to buy. Online or in store. Online (amazon)for watch and transmitter is $1445 tax free. At my local shop I’ll have to pay taxes. My shop is cool with me buying it online being that they can’t match the tax free issue. But as far as warranty or support. Has anyone purchased through Amazon and anyone required service or repairs. How did that go.

Price is going to be the same everywhere. I’d prefer DGX over Amazon. Great customer service.

But DGX is also in FL. So that doesn’t solve your tax issue. I’d be wary about buying off Amazon, though.

How much is taxes in US for stuff like this? Here in Spain its 20%!

If tax is that high it sounds alot better to buy tax free is possible. Any reputable company will have good repair and warrenty support regardless of buying from Amazon.

I for one have payed 20% more on items just because I wanted to support my local shop. For above $100 items thats alot of extra money though. Purchases I am talking about where all waaaaay below €100 :wink:.

Just checked their website. I would maybe even give them a call! They list their phone number on the website.

Only downside for me is, expensive items I want to see in the store, carry them out myself! Dont really trust carriers myself :p (although my gaming PC arrived in 1 piece)

I tend to buy local. I would have done that with my Peregrine if there was a dealer nearby. I like to throw local dealers a bone when possible. Ex. I just overpaid for a couple parts this past week to support a LDS.

If you’re not going to go local, I’d go with DRIS or DGX.

Edit: I just saw that @Marie13 commented on DGX being local for you, so that doesn’t help you with taxes. Check out DRIS.

Scuba Gear - Diving Equipment

How much is taxes in US for stuff like this? Here in Spain its 20%!

If tax is that high it sounds alot better to buy tax free is possible. Any reputable company will have good repair and warrenty support regardless of buying from Amazon.

I for one have payed 20% more on items just because I wanted to support my local shop. For above $100 items thats alot of extra money though. Purchases I am talking about where all waaaaay below €100 :wink:.

Just checked their website. I would maybe even give them a call! They list their phone number on the website.

Only downside for me is, expensive items I want to see in the store, carry them out myself! Dont really trust carriers myself :p (although my gaming PC arrived in 1 piece)

In the US, there is no VAT or nationwide sales tax. I think it’s 7% or so in FL. Around $100 for what the OP wants to buy.

One huge plus for DGX, although that doesn’t help the OP, is that their website shows inventory status. They are my go-tos now.

Ask your local shop if they can work with you. Mine does sometimes it even comes lower than online. If its a little more I'll still buy local to support local small business. I also pay in cash so they save the transaction fees.

Ask your local shop if they can work with you. Mine does sometimes it even comes lower than online. If its a little more I'll still buy local to support local small business. I also pay in cash so they save the transaction fees.

Good point. That’s worth asking, as that might be ~3%.

Support your local shop.

Suck-up that seven percent and deny Lex Luthor, over at Amazon, his shekels . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom