One-handed scuba signals - for numbers - do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a cave diver so the answer is yes. But we also don't really talk numbers all that much. The most often case I have to sign numbers is when diving with OW DMs, and then I have to remember to use two hands.

I typically use those same hand signals when diving with a buddy if I have a need to signal a number. Since I no longer do any technical diving my need to signal numbers is quite rare. Also since most of my dives these days are solo my need to use any hand signals at all is also quite rare.

I learned the one hand signal for numbers in my Fundies class in 2009 which we used for depth. We did not use a fist for zero but gestured a zero with our hands, like the guy did in the video when he demonstrated the two different ways to show zero underwater.

Best to review hand signals with any new buddies or new team members before the dive.

I'm purely a rec diver, half tank is a two-hander (100 bar), a fist is 50 bar, and we signal per 10 bar, so only 4 extra fingers needed (i.e. 120 bar is fist-fist-2 fingers, 80 bar is fist-3 fingers). Haven't felt a need for much more than that under water...

Military method
We used to flash fuel states to each other when flying in formation in radio silence
Finger(s) vertical is 1 to 5
Finger(s) horizontal is 6 to 9
Clenched fist is zero

For example:
2 fingers held vertically = 2
2 fingers held horizontally = 7

1800 p.s.i. is
1 finger held vertically, which is "1"
3 fingers held horizontally, which is "8"

The clenched fist is obviously dependent on the situation. If you and your team are communicating gas, then the clenched fist obviously means "zero" and not "hold."

If a team mate comes up to you out of the blue and shows you a clenched fist, then it obviously means "hold" and not "zero."

I need to show this vid to my non tech partner, she is a rec DM and gets very confused by my odd hand signals!

Military method
We used to flash fuel states to each other when flying in formation in radio silence
Clenched fist is zero

For example:

1800 p.s.i. is

The clenched fist is obviously dependent on the situation. If you and your team are communicating gas, then the clenched fist obviously means "zero" and not "hold."

If a team mate comes up to you out of the blue and shows you a clenched fist, then it obviously means "hold" and not "zero."

^^^^
This

I’ve seen the multiple of five fingers method (taught to me by OW open water instructor), the abacus method where the thumb is five and the other fingers ones, the fingers on forearm is tens followed by multiples of five fingers for the ones (this one was taught to me by OW confined instructor).

Military method
Clenched fist is zero

For example:

1800 p.s.i. is

That's really interesting. I didn't realize radio silence meant not even a few bits of information. I always figured there was some kind of ultra wideband that could be used even if traditional radios weren't.

Back
Top Bottom