Hurricane warning for tomorrow night!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet you just want them to geaux away??? :D :D :D

I think this will be hurricane 5 or 6 this year alone?

Whatever the number (I've lost count), we've had ENOUGH :rolleyes: Between many thousands of dead Cajuns from Covid and many thousands of homeless Cajuns from storms, 2020 has been absolutely brutal in Louisiana.

The Keys are built a lot stronger than anywhere else on this planet. Many stores in Key Largo will stay open if the storm is only Cat 3 or smaller. A true Hurricane House will be on concrete stilts with steel shutters and have a poured concrete roof. They get a bad one every 30 years or so, unlike poor La. :(

Key Largo is the best. The friends we have made in Key Largo are amazing. No matter how many storms Louisiana has faced this year, with each approaching storm my phone has begun dinging with texts from dear dive buddies in Key Largo - before the storms wishing us well and offering us places to stay, and after the storms being willing to travel our way to help in any way possible. It's truly heart-warming and I can't say how much I appreciate and love my Key Largo friends :heart:

Whatever the number (I've lost count), we've had ENOUGH :rolleyes: Between many thousands of dead Cajuns from Covid and many thousands of homeless Cajuns from storms, 2020 has been absolutely brutal in Louisiana.
My mom lives in Lake Charles; she stayed with us for a couple of weeks after Laura lambasted LC. My wife is on the road right now to pick her up again as Delta draws a bead on the same part of the state. There are tons of tarped roofs there that do not need another big blow.

All in all, I think we got really lucky here in many ways. My first hurricane experience and wow, like a dang 3.5 hour tornado - thankfully it went thru fast. Someone can argue wind speed all day long, watching trees bend in half behind the house from a second floor window, watching the river down the road - intense.

It started at 4am with what seemed like winds out of the west, after about a hour they had shifted to SW which made me feel better as all our big windows face east and west. The way my house is situated, you could stand on the back patio with the wind howling but not be totally exposed to it - after getting hit by a bird, lets be honest, it was a freakin bat, I came back inside. The myth that they shut power off ahead of a hurricane was truly a myth last night - power flickered a few times but we had it till 6am - using dive lights laying in mop buckets while mopping the floor....

By 8am, I was ready to drive around, winds were just blustery and the rain had stopped but I was worried about what the police would say - people were out standing around but no traffic. By 10, I went for a ride and was glad I took the moto, lots of trees down, few wire but mostly tree and tree debris. I went up to the north marina and down to the new cruise ship piers - big waves but very little damage. I think the Russian sailboat is a little closer to shore too....

Attachments

• IMG_4495.jpg
    IMG_4495.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4494.jpg
    IMG_4494.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4482.jpg
    IMG_4482.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4481.jpg
    IMG_4481.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 152
For those wanting an update on how the reefs held up, I had two nice dives today with Tres Pelicanos on Palancar Bricks and Paso del Cedral reefs (after no diving for the last 5 days due to Delta and Gamma).

I saw two spots of dangling broken-off coral and a few spots where some sand had gotten swept over the coral. Otherwise didn’t see obvious hurricane damage on the reefs.

Visibility was unsurprisingly worse than last week, with some small particles in the water. But still much better than some other places I’ve dove. Call it 40 ft viz vs. 80+ ft last week.

Current underwater was mild. Water temp was 85 F degrees. Some lingering wave action made the boat ride out to the dive sites a bit rougher than usual.

Diving should be good for anyone about to make the trip to Cozumel.

Thrilled for our lucky breaks with Hurricane Delta! I was diving yesterday afternoon. Viz was medium, much better than expected, with plenty of particulate matter floating about.

Please, when you see sand coated sponges and corals, swish the water over them to try to remove some of the sand. It will help them survive the storm.

The initial reports out of Lake Charles indicate that their experience was similar to what Cozumel got from Delta. Nothing like what they got from Laura, thank goodness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom