Offboard bailout hose routing to BOV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slimshady

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a Prism 2 and want to offboard my bailout to my BOV. I have QC's, but am curious how anyone else does it as far as hose length and QC position? I don't want a switch block and don't intend to connect and disconnect in the water. My offboard deep gas will be the one plumbed. Any other bailout will be on a 2nd stage.

Thanks

I use a locking QD from my left side mounted BO for my BOV. The male end of the QD is attached to my Shrimp.The hose runs from the valve, under my arm, over my shoulder and then follows the left loop hose to the BOV. Sounds wonky, but works as well as anything else I tired without torquing the BOV. I don't remember off the top of my head on hose length... 40" maybe? it's pretty long.

Thanks. Going to try it Monday. I don't want to torque the BOV. I have the same male QD on a 15 inch hose coming off the BOV and then using a 40 inch of the BO tank with female locking QD on the end.

Do you don the bottle in the water and then route and connect the hose?

This is my way. 30" hose from BOV and 12" from the tank.

Attachments

• 20201009_151837.jpg
    20201009_151837.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 225
This is my way. 30" hose from BOV and 12" from the tank.
40" hose off the BOV along my loop hose, over my shoulder, then down to my left hip area.
15" Hose off my offboard BO

QC6 connects them. Its no big deal to connect and reconnect in the water. Like to leave the BO on a tag line to make it easier to climb the boat ladder

40" hose off the BOV along my loop hose, over my shoulder, then down to my left hip area.
15" Hose off my offboard BO

QC6 connects them. Its no big deal to connect and reconnect in the water. Like to leave the BO on a tag line to make it easier to climb the boat ladder
I do pretty much this, although I use a slightly shorter hose at the cylinder end.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to switch the 15 inch and 40 inch so that the 40 is on the BOV and the 15 is on the bottle. Do you keep the hose from the onboard bottle on the DIL reg and put a QD on it? Or just plug it?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to switch the 15 inch and 40 inch so that the 40 is on the BOV and the 15 is on the bottle. Do you keep the hose from the onboard bottle on the DIL reg and put a QD on it? Or just plug it?
My dil is mounted upside down aka "normal"
there are 3 hoses:

1 spg hose comes up through the hole in my CCR wing, over my shoulder as is velcroed to my counterlung near my chest d ring
wing hose comes up and goes over the top of the wing to the power inflator
ADV/dil mav hose follows the SPG hose through the wing to the ADV on the counterlung by my collarbone

There is no BOV to dil bottle connection at all

Plug it. Having two QDs is asking for getting it wrong and being plugged into the wrong gas.

I have a spare short hose and QD as spare and have considered this for use in the pool or shallow lakes where the bailout cylinder is a bit much. My conclusion was that it is too likely to lead to an error, especially if I had to ask someone else to plug in the bailout.

Thanks. Going to try it Monday. I don't want to torque the BOV. I have the same male QD on a 15 inch hose coming off the BOV and then using a 40 inch of the BO tank with female locking QD on the end.

Do you don the bottle in the water and then route and connect the hose?

Because it is a QD rather than a QC4, I connect before getting in the water. I don't think it would be the end of the world to plug in inwater since it is just going to an OC 2nd stage, but still, the less salt in there the better! If I were in a situation where donning in water was the norm, I would swap to a QC4 and have the split hose system others are recommending to get the connector mass off the BOV.

Back
Top Bottom