Looking for reasonably priced, mid weight drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am looking for some reasonably priced mid weight drysuit undergarments. The prices of some of these suits is ridiculous ($400- $500). Anyone have any opinions on the Hollis AUG450? I am looking at these. I looked at the Scubapro K2 Lite undergarment. but that suit didn't seem like it had enough insulation. I frequently dive 45 degree waters & my 14 yr old fleece undersuits are showing their age & the insulation is lacking the way I like. I would prefer fleece, but most important, I would like insulation without bulk, which would limit motion. Thanks!

Have you considered using heavyweight fleece pants and tops? I got mine several years ago and use them along with Underarmor thermals and been comfortable. I also noticed the ridiculous price of the undergarments and decided to go with something just as effective but a heck of a lot cheaper. I also have been looking at the military arctic underwear as an option.

I did exactly what Resqdivemedic mentions above for a while - Underarmour base (cold gear) and a polartec fleece top+pants from REI. Worked well! Right now my go-to mid-weight undergarment is one that I picked up from some vendor at Beneath The Sea for like $50. Still use the Underarmour as a base wicking layer of course.

I've been using UA 2.0 and 4.0 as undergarments and Waterproof WarmTec 1x and 2x from Amazon. It looks like they are no longer selling them. It may have been the previous seasons model and getting around MAP. I also got some midweight marino wool tops and bottoms in case but have not had to fall back to plan B in 20 dives.

I don’t usually wear Scuba branded/designed undergarments. I’d recommend a good quality outdoor thermal base layer to start. Patagonia Capilene is my favorite but any synthetic wicking top and bottom thermal base layer is good. Then buy any brand of generic Polartec 150 top and bottom. I picked up the kind of set I’m talking about for about $100 by being a little patient and shopping the clearance sales and not caring if any of the colors or brands matched. At that price it’s not too hard to justify two sets in case your suit leaks. All together it’s a good quality mid-weight setup that I use from 70F/21C water down to about 55F/13C water temps.

Uniqlo's ultra warm base layer works great when combined with a midweight fleece and wool socks in SD waters.

The new Waterproof Body 2X undergarments work really well and they are priced good also (almost half that of Fourth Element). I've done hour long dives in 48* water with just those undergarments. And I am very cold natured.

Fourth Element Arctic separates are very popular with the Lake Michigan crowd, where we get bottom temps of 41-ish.

As a curvy-bodied person, having the ability to buy the right size for each half of my body is great -- onesies just don't work for me.

If you don’t need particularly high thermal performance, tolerance of a leak, or looks then the local thrift store can help you out. No shortage of fleece jogging pants and sweaters there for less than the price of an air fill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom