Anybody owns a DIR Bags-Sport BPW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roberto Inzerillo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everybody :)
I'm considering buying a BPW in the near future; I came across the Bags-Sport (it's a manufacturer in Italy) DIR30 model listed here:
https://www.bags-sport.com/diving
dir30.jpg

Is there anyone who had a chance at using it? It looks minimalistic enough for my needs but I'm really curious about real life first person experiences.

If the SS inflator ever starts to leak, you can replace it with an inexpensive plastic one. That's what I did with my Halcyon one.

I think that the SS backplate and the wing are perfectly OK. I do not like too much this single-webbing "DIR" harness.
In my current BPW the shoulder straps are the quick-regulation type (you pull the D-rings for making the shoulder straps tighter), and the belt is separate and doubled by a large velcro strap, making the crotch strap unnecessary...
The nice thing of a BP+W is that you can configure it as you like, and usually you can buy the parts you need separately.
I also evaluated this unit, but, if buying it, I would ask to get rid of the crap DIR-style harness and to be able to install the easy-to-adapt straps and the double velcro band+belt I like.

I think that the SS backplate and the wing are perfectly OK. I do not like too much this single-webbing "DIR" harness.
In my current BPW the shoulder straps are the quick-regulation type (you pull the D-rings for making the shoulder straps tighter), and the belt is separate and doubled by a large velcro strap, making the crotch strap unnecessary...
The nice thing of a BP+W is that you can configure it as you like, and usually you can buy the parts you need separately.
I also evaluated this unit, but, if buying it, I would ask to get rid of the crap DIR-style harness and to be able to install the easy-to-adapt straps and the double velcro band+belt I like.

Interesting notes ...
What's your view on donut vs horseshoe bladder?
Bags-Sport offers the "Tek Underwater Adv" model which is not as minimalistis and provides more confortable straps (maybe you prefer those ones, right?) but ... with a horseshoe bladder.
Would you consider this detail a "minor" con? ... or not a "con" at all?

You are meaning the Fly Tech:
ae1ba9_462ff5a55047408ea8865610a1ce1e66~mv2.webp

The back plate is optional, but it can be mounted. The shoulder straps are the quick-adjustable ones, as I like. Also the red colour provides far better visibility than the black of the DIR-30.
But it is still missing the velcro belt. Perhaps it can be added...
Regarding donut vs. horse shoe, I do not think is really so different, but only testing both in water can provide the real answer. It depends a lot on the tank, if the tank is heavy at its bottom, the donut can probably give you more buoyancy where it is needed. If instead the tank is heavy at its top (as my one, which has a very heavy double-valve with reserve, and where I mount two heavy vintage piston first stages) then possibly the horse-shoe bladder is just fine. But without testing it is impossible to say...

Interesting notes ...
What's your view on donut vs horseshoe bladder?
Bags-Sport offers the "Tek Underwater Adv" model which is not as minimalistis and provides more confortable straps (maybe you prefer those ones, right?) but ... with a horseshoe bladder.
Would you consider this detail a "minor" con? ... or not a "con" at all?

IMHO donut is better than horseshoe, as it is easier for air to reach the dump valve.

I looked on the company's web page at a picture of the wing from the rear. I can't stand single tank wings with inflator hose in the center. This is right where the first stage is, and inflating the wing pushes the inflator elbow against the 1st stage. I buy single tank wings with the inflator elbow on the side (Oxycheq, Vintage Double Hose). But I remove the inflator frequently to rinse inside my wing with fresh water, this might not bother some people.

And another vote for donut.

I just wanted to point out that many of us prefer the standard harness over padded harnesses. I've used both and have no comfort issues at all with the bare webbing. I also greatly prefer a waist belt with buckle and crotch strap to those bulky Velcro cummerbund belts. The former is more stable and just feels better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom