Any thoughts or insight as to when Bonaire may reopen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard they had about 100 cases pop up in a two week time frame. We're deciding whether we want to book for March now or not.

Jason

I heard they had about 100 cases pop up in a two week time frame. We're deciding whether we want to book for March now or not.

Jason

They have had 106 cases since April. Where did you get your info?

Today's report in the 10 nieuwe positieve gevallen van Covid-19 Nieuws | Bonaire.Nu shows 123 positive cases....September 5 the number was 10. It started jumping up about 16 Sept. the positivity rate (positive tests/number of tests) is now over 5%. Two people are in the hospital, two have died, 57 have recovered. There re 231 people currently in quarantine.

upload_2020-10-5_21-46-58.png

We're deciding whether we want to book for March now or not.
The short answer is no one really knows. Best bet is to book only a trip you are prepared to move and reschedule and to be able to do so with little to no additional costs and inconvenience. Way too many variables and unknowns at this point to be able to say when Bon will open to US visitors and under what circumstances. The experiment with KLM flights has had mixed results and Bon is now limiting who can come in under those flights and tightening up controls on the conditions imposed on those who do come in.

The short answer is no one really knows. Best bet is to book only a trip you are prepared to move and reschedule and to be able to do so with little to no additional costs and inconvenience. Way too many variables and unknowns at this point to be able to say when Bon will open to US visitors and under what circumstances. The experiment with KLM flights has had mixed results and Bon is now limiting who can come in under those flights and tightening up controls on the conditions imposed on those who do come in.

We discussed it last night and are probably going to pass going in March. I'm not really concerned about catching COVID on Bonaire but there could be the possibility that there could be a shutdown in progress and American is still flying. Since there is a fair amount to do besides diving, if there were a shutdown it would really screw our vacation. We're probably going to do the FL Keys and keep ourselves a few hours drive from home in case there were any problems.

Jason

We of course aren't going to be able to go in December. I'm going to risk rebooking for september.

Our United flight from Newark on Nov 28 was just cancelled, as expected. We'll certainly miss our regular 2 week December dive trip to paradise this year, but hoping to go whenever its safe next year.

We had paid 70k United miles and $136 in fees for the 2 of us and the United website made it very easy to just click and credit both miles and fees right back to us.

Bonaire had a drastic rise in their infections, presumably due to all the tourists arriving from the "safe" countries.
On 21 Sept they instituted a "light lockdown" for 10 days.
I've been tracking their numbers. Here is the 3-day average number of daily new infections for the last month:
upload_2020-10-12_14-37-49.png

They have not had a new infection since Oct 9.
I'm sure they are wondering how to stay "clean" and still have some tourism.....right now they are essentially closed ("essential travel" only, and only from certain countries) through Nov 1.

Back
Top Bottom