Revo vs JJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tribal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yes another one :D

I’m from Belgium, Revo’s grow on trees over here.
Some of my buddies dive a Revo others a JJ, all of them find their unit the best one. Doing try dives might be fun and useful if you have a clue what you have to watch out for. I have no clue :p

Cave is the highest priority but some saltwater wrecks from time to time are on the agenda aswell.

Who has real experience on both units or on more then one unit, so they can compare with something? Please give some things You love and hate about a Revo or JJ.

thanks

Is taking a class on a rental unit possible? I don't think as a non-rebreather trained person, a try-dive is an effective way to determine purchase decisions (and you hint at that awareness in your post). I do think there are some units that are better than others holistically, and some that are situationally ideal, but until you've spent some hours on a unit, it's hard to fully appreciate some of those differences. Alternatively, finding a value-priced used unit, diving the shiz out of it, and then selling it for close to what you paid for it can be an effective introduction. If you can't train on a rented unit, I'd lean towards that.

All that said, the JJ and the Revo are very different units.

JJ is built like a tank, which is nice for caves. ADV on inhale side, so you can easily open loop breathe a known gas. O2 injects pretty close to the cells, so calibration is pretty spot on. Unit is modular, you can have it stock or run large onboard bailouts with shuttle mounted 3Ls. Standard HUD is great, but swapping to a NERD takes 5 min. Pretty user serviceable, fairly simple. Decent flood recovery characteristics, though it could be better. I like it quite a bit, but take that with a grain of salt as I'm still in the first couple hundred hours of diving it.

JJ v rEvo, its like choosing between a Toyota Corolla and a Hond Civic. The reality is, you wont go wrong with either. Both units have proven themselves extensively in the field over the last decade or more. The reality is there is no right or wrong answer, it comes down to what you specifically need and want. I have been diving the rEvo since 2013, my buddy has been diving his JJ since 2013. We are both equally happy with our choices overall. Sure each unit has its own minor issues, but thats about it.

I suggest getting in touch with an instructor that teaches both units. Mel Clark and Rob McGann are two that I know of…

I suggest getting in touch with an instructor that teaches both units. Mel Clark and Rob McGann are two that I know of…
Well the OP is in belgium so probably not american instructors

Well the OP is in belgium so probably not american instructors
The American instructors can still give the OP a well informed opinion regarding both units, and (or) recommend an instructor in Europe that teaches revo and jj.

Revo has quite a bit of proprietary parts and is costly when it comes to manufacturer recommended service from my understanding. Enough that it wouldn't even be a consideration for me. Not to mention just personal bias because every person I see cave diving with a Revo looks like crap. But that's probably more the people I happen to see diving them as opposed to being Revo's fault. But there are a few jokes about revo divers in cave country, so maybe it's not just me.

Check with Przemek Kacprzak, he is a rEvo IT and JJ instructor based in Poland and Croatia. I've worked with him on my rEvo instructor ratings and he is fantastic, and very knowledgeable on both units. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you his email.

Revo has quite a bit of proprietary parts and is costly when it comes to manufacturer recommended service from my understanding.

I own my second rEvo now. Nothing wrong with the first one, other than it was a Mini and I found a good deal on a Micro. Smaller and lighter was worth the hassle to buy the new one, sell the old one, etc..

My Mini was built in 2009. My Micro was built in 2012. I had the Mini serviced a couple of months before I sold it. I got the Micro serviced before I ever dived it. Both were overdue. Both were serviced by Richard Morton, of Dive-Tronix. He is the US-based Shearwater service tech and he is also a rEvo factory-authorized service tech. Service on both my units was VERY inexpensive. And very quick. Both units turned around in less than a week from when he received them. I think the bill for the Mini service was about $500, and that included having him do some stuff that it technically did not have to have. The Micro service was more, but that was because I had some upgrades done.

I think that ability to get service done in the US, and the cost, used to be a strike against rEvo, but I don't think it is, anymore. (Richard, at Dive-Tronix, is just awesome) And it certainly should not be a factor for a Belgium-based owner.

I don't have any experience with any other units but rEvo (other than a try-dive on a Dive Rite O2ptima, which I did not like at all). But, there are a few things about the rEvo that I can say that I like about it:

- the dual scrubber design makes it EXTREMELY unlikely to ever have issues with channeling or CO2 bypass.

- the rMS system is great for allowing me to monitor my sorb and not waste it by dumping sorb that still has a lot of life left. rMS gets knocked for being unreliable - as in, system components breaking - not that it gives erroneous readings. But, from what I can tell, the rMS temp probes have been improved in their design over the years and the parts they've had for the last few years seem to be reliable. I don't think that criticism is necessarily valid anymore.

- it is very low profile

- I get good, flat trim without any weight on the unit. That was true with the Mini and a Don Six stand on it, and it is true with the Micro with a rEvo factory stand on it, as well. Also, I don't have to mount the cylinders way up high, to get good trim, like I see users of at least one other brand doing.

- the rEvo Micro, in particular, is very nice for travel. Compact and light, to fit in a checked bag that is under 50#(23kg).

- the CMF means that if my solenoid were to go out, it gives me much more time to notice my ppO2 dropping, versus a unit that is purely electronic. This actually happened to me 45 minutes into a dive on the Jodrey a bit over a week ago. I noticed when the ppO2 had dropped to about 1.15 (from a SP of 1.3), so I would have been fine even without the CMF, in that particular case. But, it is comforting to me to know that it does give me extra safety margin.

- I run 5 sensors. A buddy who used to dive a JJ and now dives an X used to tease me about having so many sensors. "Loads of people are doing very deep, technical wreck dives with only 3 sensors. You don't need more than 3. 5 is just silly." Then he took his X to Bikini and shortly after getting there, one of his sensor connectors crapped out (due to corrosion) and couldn't be fixed with the parts and tools on hand. He had to choose between diving with only 2 sensors or diving OC for the bulk of his time at Bikini. He has not teased me about 5 sensors since...

- I have a Nomad XT wing and a Hogarthian harness on mine. It is very clean and streamlined. When I dived the Jodrey, up in the Saint Lawrence, last week, the boat captain even commented (unsolicited) that my rig was the "cleanest" CCR rig he'd ever seen.

- the process for calibration is done with the unit in ready-to-dive condition. I like that. I only found recently that some other units have all this other stuff that you do to them, with adapter fittings or whatever, for when you calibrate the controller/monitor. It's just a gut feeling, but my gut tells me that putting it together like I'm going to dive it and doing the checks and calibration in that condition just seems better.

- the Mini has bigger counter lungs. Much larger than I needed. The Micro's are smaller. It turns out that they are just the right size for me. But, if it had turned out that the CLs in the Micro were too small for me, rEvo has a very inexpensive kit of spacers that you can install in the case (user-installable) that make the case a little thicker, allowing the CLs to expand more, resulting in the same CL volume as what the Mini has.

Anyway, the rEvo has things that people will legitimately knock. I'm not saying it is perfect or the best. But, those are the things that I particularly like about it. The only think I don't especially like about it is that I do wish there was a way to get water out of it during a dive. The design makes it less likely than most (I think) to get water in. But, if you do, then you're not getting it out again until you get out of the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom