Chronic issue with equalization of the left ear, septoplasty surgery ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might feel more comfortable if you got a second opinion in person where you live to get another doctor's take on this.

I have perforated eardrums, beyond fixing at this point. I dive with the pro ear mask and my ears stay completely dry. Can't dive without it.

Does anyone else have an opinion or review of this pro-ear mask? Maybe doctor Mike can give a medical opinion on keeping ears covered during diving

The idea behind it is not that it just covers the ears, it is that there is a connection to equalize the pressure between the sealed off outer ear and the airway. I understand how it would help people with tympanic membrane perforations dive underwater without risking forcing water into the middle ear cleft, causing infection, damage, hearing loss, etc...

My personal take is that I would be concerned about failure of the system at depth, so I don't usually recommend it. However, every time it comes up, people who use them vouch for them so maybe they have a role. You just need to be clear on what you are risking. Unlike losing and replacing a mask at depth, losing this would result in a sudden flood of water into the middle ears with possible acute dive-related issues like vertigo, in addition to long term problems.

I agree with the risk of failure, and I accept that every time I use it. there is a fitted hood that I use as well to ensure it doesn't get knocked off. I have recently been diving without it and it feels very secure. I also wear docs pro plugs underneath in the event some water gets in I have a chance to keep it our of my ear while ascending.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom