Revo vs JJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- I run 5 sensors. A buddy who used to dive a JJ and now dives an X used to tease me about having so many sensors. "Loads of people are doing very deep, technical wreck dives with only 3 sensors. You don't need more than 3. 5 is just silly." Then he took his X to Bikini and shortly after getting there, one of his sensor connectors crapped out (due to corrosion) and couldn't be fixed with the parts and tools on hand. He had to choose between diving with only 2 sensors or diving OC for the bulk of his time at Bikini. He has not teased me about 5 sensors since...

Bringing a spare set of cells to someplace like Bikini is quite doable. They dont have to be in the unit.

I have a rEvo.
Both units are great choices. But different favors.
Since you mention caves, I might lean a little more toward the JJ.
I feel the JJ might be a little better for beating it through caves while the rEvo is a little better for travel.
Either can do the job. But there are trade offs for different designs. Just what trade offs are a better match for you.

Bringing a spare set of cells to someplace like Bikini is quite doable. They dont have to be in the unit.

His cells were not the problem. It was some connector in the head or cabling that was corroded. They attempted to clean it with DeOx-it, but that didn't fix it.

I have a rEvo.
Both units are great choices. But different favors.
Since you mention caves, I might lean a little more toward the JJ.
I feel the JJ might be a little better for beating it through caves while the rEvo is a little better for travel.
Either can do the job. But there are trade offs for different designs. Just what trade offs are a better match for you.

I'm curious what you think would make a JJ better for caves?

I think one answer might be that the rEvo doesn't have a way to get water out, if you get water in it during the dive. I don't know about the JJ, but I suspect it does have some de-watering capability.

Otherwise, the rEvo is so low profile, I would have though it would be better in a cave.

Is there something else about the JJ that would make it better for caves?

I'm not a cave diver, so I'm just curious. I do plan to do Cave CCR training in the next year or two. It just hasn't bubbled to the top of my To Do list yet.

His cells were not the problem. It was some connector in the head or cabling that was corroded. They attempted to clean it with DeOx-it, but that didn't fix it.
Yeah that is why I dont like the coax cell connectors. The molex in the kiss, revo and meg (and others) are much more field fixable.

Ty all for the advice!
I can do training on both units, rented units, but it wil get realy expensive.
The only JJ instructor around is also a Revo instructor I will visit him next week and ask for his opinion. After that I’ll make a decision and if in the future I regret it I can still sell it and swap units.

I'm curious what you think would make a JJ better for caves?

I think one answer might be that the rEvo doesn't have a way to get water out, if you get water in it during the dive. I don't know about the JJ, but I suspect it does have some de-watering capability.

Otherwise, the rEvo is so low profile, I would have though it would be better in a cave.

Is there something else about the JJ that would make it better for caves?

I'm not a cave diver, so I'm just curious. I do plan to do Cave CCR training in the next year or two. It just hasn't bubbled to the top of my To Do list yet.

JJ is very durable. All metal construction on the frame/tube. Not sure about how the rEvo is built, but you'd have a hard time smacking the JJ on the ceiling hard enough to do any damage. It's also very modular. You can strap on board bailout to it if you wanna run it that way. Or stock with SM dilout. But the flood recovery is the main thing. JJ can be a bit annoying to de water based on the orientation of the CL OPV, but you can easily do it. IMO, good flood recovery capabilities are near the top of the list of considerations for overhead CCR selection priorities. Anything that allows you to correct an issue and stay on the loop is huge.

Ty all for the advice!
The only JJ instructor around is also a Revo instructor I will visit him next week and ask for his opinion. After that I’ll make a decision and if in the future I regret it I can still sell it and swap units.

Good idea .. I was interested in a JJ but met a rEvo instructor and went that way with a purchase. I bought it for a trip to Bikini and feel comfortable that the added redundancy will help on that specific trip in 2022. I’m fairly new but have found it hard to get into trim compared to say doubles. I have flooded my rEvo by falling over and stupidly not having the loop in my mouth whilst wading out to a wreck. I ended the dive before its starts. However in terms of getting into tech diving quickly I think the rEvo right thing for me. I like the RMS/dual scrubber combo and it has saved me US$200 in sorb in my first 6 months. I also think of the RMS as a safety device. There is a way to do a inverted dill flush and push water out of the the top lung. But it’s a skilful manoeuvre and can’t work with a caustic cocktail.

The JJ with the onboard bailout GUE style and ability to dewater loop seems attractive to me. And I wouldn’t rule out learning on a JJ too ... or even a Meg

Welcome to rebreather diving another level of addictive hobby spending. Buy one- try another one- and end up owning 3 different rebreathers :)

The JJ with the onboard bailout GUE style and ability to dewater loop seems attractive to me. And I wouldn’t rule out learning on a JJ too ... or even a Meg
You do know a GUE style rb is a JJ? Besides that you need to pass Fundies and Tech 1 before you can even start CCR 1. If you're nog GUE trained and do not want to spend a significantly sum of money and time I would forget about GUE rb.

Ty all for the advice!

Go and talk to Steven Galicia. He instructs and sells both JJ and REVO. He is a bit biased (since he has many more dives on the REVO) but he'll give his honest opinion.

Can't answer your question on REVO, since I've only done 2 dives with it for testing. I'm diving a JJ in GUE configured style.

Back
Top Bottom