Traveling with carry on and fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tattoo John

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings everyone,

Usually I check a bag and get all my scuba gear inside... but be that as it may I am taking a short trip and need to pack light and move fast. Long story short... has anyone bungee their fins to their backpack or carry-on and got onboard the flight without checking a bag? I'll be flying Spirit Airlines out of DFW... and how picky are they? (traveling with ScubaPro Seawing Nova - roughly 25 inches). The fins exceed personal item and carry on dims for Spirit... had friends say just bungee it... but not sure if I wanna take the chance at 4am... know what I mean?
Thanks for any and all insights...!

I think Spirit could go either way. I have not flown with them in a while, but sometimes they let people bring on coolers and luggage as "personal item" and other times I have seen them measure every single bag in their little metal size box and charge people for overages and checked bags.

Godspeed to you on Spirit Air. You are a much braver soul than I am.
(not for traveling during these times, but for choosing Spirit!)

With an airline that charges you for EVERYTHING other than a seat, I'd be confident that they would charge you...but it may be all dependent on who is checking you in. By the time they are done with you, Southwest or SunCountry may be a better deal if available. We have been tempted to fly Spirit out of DFW to Cancun, ($170 over Day of the Dead) but the horrible reviews, canceled flights, parking, and baggage charges keep us flying SW out of OKC. If they gig you at check in, it looks like it could cost another $60-$80 round trip.

Good luck, safe travels, Let us know how it goes.

Jay

I have the Scubapro Hydros BC. This unit comes with a carry on Backpack that will hold you BC, Reg, computer, mask, and unto a 5mm suit. Because of weight i carry my BC, Reg, Computer, mask and my Go Sport fins are strapped with the compressor straps to the outside and I make the 15# limit

I strap my fins (SP Seawing Nova) to a large backpack and haven't had any issues with either Avianca and a small Honduran airline.

I strap my fins on my backpack and have even looped a coat through the fin straps never had any problem on American or Delta not sure about others.

I strap my fins on my backpack and have even looped a coat through the fin straps never had any problem on American or Delta not sure about others.
That is great news... as I will use American Airlines next Spring (Cenotes). Spirit Airlines was chosen this year a couple times due to destination and price, reluctantly... Geez, I think I can do without Spirit for awhile. OMG, gate changes, people refusing to wear masks, sitting on tarmac for 40 minutes, leaking fuselage (don't ask), plane changes, stewardess with attitudes... but these are stressful times, right?
To answer my original post I opted to NOT pack my fins... and in hindsight I will never do that again. When I got to the dive operator who shall be nameless... gave me fins to use. I said, "these are snorkel fins", his response was well your not the first person I've had to skull drag back to the boat. Skull drag... umm, yeah, I don't want to be dragged. Wore'm and cramped up a couple times... never again, lesson learned.
So, I will bungee my fins to my backpack which I will purchase ahead of time to accommodate fins.
Last note: I saw a couple divers in the airport waiting at their gate and they all had their tech fins bungeed to their packs.

I would think you'll be ok as I see kids with skate boards all the time in airports. (I don't fly Spirit so no guarantees) If nothing else you could always rent a pair when you get your tanks and weights.

EDIT
Just read Tattoo John's post. Maybe renting isn't the best idea. LOL

I bungee mine and have never had a problem with Delta, American, or Aeromexico. Budget airlines may be bigger dicks about it. United certainly was.

I never take my backpack off during check in or while boarding so maybe they don't notice. Being 6'4" and 260 pounds tends to make anything I'm wearing on my back look smaller. Once on board, I undo my fins and lay them under my bag in the overhead.

Back
Top Bottom