What is the difference between trilaminate drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BassO

Registered
Reaction score
If you google for differences in drysuits you get trilam, neoprene and maybe rubber. But nowhere does it explain why one trilam suit is almost four times as expensive as the other. What are the big differences and what are known cost savers that you should look out for (either good or bad)?

some will have a breathable fabric (costs more but generally is not a durable), others may offer a material with some elastic/stretch, and finally the density/toughness varies with some made with a heavy cordura outer layer while others are lighter.

that is a great question. i have wondered about why some brands are so damn expensive.

sometimes it comes down to what features are included. socks vs boots, front zip vs rear, does the front zip have a second external zip to protect the dry zip, are dry gloves included, does the suit have user replaceable seals, etc etc

obviously if it is a custom fit suit, that will drive the cost up as well.

but i personally think any known brand is probably just as good as another as long as the fit is right and it offers the features you want.

one of the only major difference i always point out with Bare for example is they offer a life time warranty. and that extends to future owners if you sell it. hard to beat that.

What has been said already is pretty much on the money.

1. Zip type and position (Metal vs plastic zip - each has their pro's and cons - same like the position
2. Seal type: Neoprene, Latex, Silicone - the latter usually being user replaceable like the SiTech System. Then also I have seen some with silicone on the wrists, but still a neoprene or latex on the neck.
3. Material type and construction as well as possible outter layers. I think the Apeks suit has an inner and outer. Others may just have one type.
4. Overall quality and manufacturer. Some brands are more expensive as they have better suits IMO. Not going to name brands here as that is besides the point.
5. Socks or boots - also type of boots...some come with proper hard core boots, others with basic.
6. Pee valve or not?
7. Other valves and valves types...like low profile, full 360 swivel, extra valves for outlet etc.

Warranty and after market service as mentioned in the above post is also very valid. Here in SA we have a manufacturer who offers lifetime on their seals...IMO a very nice thing to have.

The advantage of trilam suits is that the suit buoyancy does not change with depth -- unlike neoprene.

one of the only major difference i always point out with Bare for example is they offer a life time warranty. and that extends to future owners if you sell it. hard to beat that.
THIS

That was a significant factor when I bought my BARE suit. They stood behind that warranty when the main zipper had to be replaced the first year. I have, however, seen a horror story on SB about another bare customer getting snubbed on the BARE warranty so apparently they're not consistent.

I paid a lot more for my suit than people report paying for other brands on SB, that's for sure. I'd have been raving mad if they hadn't made good on the warranty.

THIS

That was a significant factor when I bought my BARE suit. They stood behind that warranty when the main zipper had to be replaced the first year. I have, however, seen a horror story on SB about another bare customer getting snubbed on the BARE warranty so apparently they're not consistent.

I paid a lot more for my suit than people report paying for other brands on SB, that's for sure. I'd have been raving mad if they hadn't made good on the warranty.

Bare no longer lists a lifetime warranty on their drysuits. Seams get the longest at 7, zippers are at 2, seals at 1.

Screenshot 2020-10-15 150330.jpg

Bare no longer lists a lifetime warranty on their drysuits. Seams get the longest at 7, zippers are at 2, seals at 1.

View attachment 618490
For reference, Seaskin is 3 years for seams, most of the suit is 1 year, except no warranty on seals and socks "due to accidental damage".

Yikes. Things change, I guess. Bare went from having the best (or at least one of the best) warranties to probably one of the worst from what I can tell. Hate it when companies do that. My favorite computer parts brand did the exact same thing a few years ago. Scubapro made a similar change to their maintenance program.

I bet Bare didn't drop their prices corresponding to the huge decrease in warranty. I guess time will tell if they honor the old warranty on suits that had it when sold. Scubapro didn't do that when they neutered the parts for life program, so my hopes aren't super high.

In my mind, anyway, that takes bare out of the running when trying to find "the best" trilam suit.

Back
Top Bottom