Scuba a Winter Sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would repeat my suggestion to start with a reputable organization and offer surface ice rescue first.

This is a PSD course and the cert that your students would get actually means something in the real world. Great way to tease out those 'special' students who want to see what is under the ice. Call the office to find out where it is being held and ask about adding on as a paying extra. The hosting fire company or police have paid for the class and your (most reasonable) cost helps offset what they paid. Typically, one police/fire company will book and then sell spots to other 'local' agencies. You show up as an unaffiliated paying participant. After the first half-hour, you are all the same. Hanging with the participants after hours is so totally worth the entire price of admission. IJS.

If you have enough students the instructors will travel and the course becomes totally yours. BTW, look closely at 9:38 into the vid. NOBODY (other than instructors) walk on the ice. If a kid fell through then it is unlikely that you can walk out to the entry hole. Notice the square hole, that reinforces going through broken ice.

Full disclosure: I am in no way connected with TeamLGS other than I hold (er, held -mine timed out) several of their certs. The knowledge and training stay with you forever, though.
I have the above certification, I am an ice rescue technician... That course is just plain out fun. good exercise for kids, but not a diving course....

but not a diving course....
Correct, it isn't. But my suggestion was speaking to:
Our community's local high school cancelled their regular winter sports seasons this year and the building's AD (Athletic Director) wants to try and offer some things to keep the kids active

Upper or lower?

I've never encountered 22C water unless traveling abroad. Usually, it's in the single digits (C).
Lower. Single digits celcius? I wouldn't be diving, you're more of a man than I. "Normal" temps for me are 25c and up. I bought the drysuit for 22c water.

I don't think I could bring myself to stand on a frozen lake of water. After hearing stories of people falling through ice and instantly losing the ability to move... I really don't think I could do it... much less cut a hole in the ice and enter the water deliberately.

Lower. Single digits celcius? I wouldn't be diving, you're more of a man than I. "Normal" temps for me are 25c and up. I bought the drysuit for 22c water.

I don't think I could bring myself to stand on a frozen lake of water. After hearing stories of people falling through ice and instantly losing the ability to move... I really don't think I could do it... much less cut a hole in the ice and enter the water deliberately.
It is only cold for a few minutes, until your face goes numb. if you're properly insulated in a dry suit. you'll never feel the cold water

They do it in lakes around here. I'd get into that, but no shells worth the taking in lakes.

It is only cold for a few minutes, until your face goes numb. if you're properly insulated in a dry suit. you'll never feel the cold water

Ice Diving is generally near the end of the winter, temps are at 0C or above and while wearing a full drysuit, usually in dark colours, with fleece under it all sealed up, on a sunny day, heat is more of a problem than cold.

You want to get in the water, especially after being the rescue diver for the dive ahead of you since you are all geared up and over heating.

Hands and head are cold until you warm the water in the hood and gloves. Only a verity small part of your face is exposed to the cold water and soon you adjust to it.

The best way to get newbies to NEVER dive again is take them into freezing conditions in a wetsuit during training.

Here in West Virginia we have a 1,200 acre lake that is heated by a coal-powered lake warmer to a balmy 50 degrees F throughout the winter. I've been diving rather comfortably (in a dry suit) when the air temp was 10 degrees F and there was 12 inches of snow on the ground.

The best way to get newbies to NEVER dive again is take them into freezing conditions in a wetsuit during training.
Obvious conclusion: let them train in a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom