Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weekends can get a bit crowded at the wharf. If you do go, swim out right next to the wall. That way you are under the wood over hang of the wharf and all the fishing lines will be away from you. When you get to the end of the cement section, hard left and drop under the pier. Excellent dive for photography.
Looking forward to it! FWIW, according to the most recent source I can find, swimming under the wharf is not allowed, and the Aqua Tutus club recommends surface swimming well away from the fishing lines, before cutting back as you describe and going along the wooden section. I do have a trilobite in case I get entangled. Will be sure to post how it goes.

Weekends can get a bit crowded at the wharf. If you do go, swim out right next to the wall. That way you are under the wood over hang of the wharf and all the fishing lines will be away from you. When you get to the end of the cement section, hard left and drop under the pier. Excellent dive for photography.

Octopuses galore, the last time I was there . . .

I want to dive that site again soon. Its little Lembeh.

Two at Breakwater today. First dive 20-25 ft vis as you got out along wall. Saw a Bat Ray on way out on surface swim. Saw a baby Monkey Face that was stranded on a fishing line that was wrapped around some rocks and I was able to remove the hook. It then proceeded to sit on a rock and let me photograph it. After I was done, it swam off into the rocks. I'd like to think it was his way of saying thanks. Second dive saw Bat Rays underwater. Vis dropped to 15 +/_ as you got out. Saw Thornback Ray on way back in. To top it off, weather was awesome and between dives we were treated to a couple whales swimming by and spouting. Epic day and 86 degrees topside.

Yes more than 1 ray. Another diver said there was a whole group of baby/juvenile rays off the wall at Breakwater in the sand. I did not see them. Other divers were reporting multiple sightings as well. I never got a good pic but I got nice video of the thornback.

Yes more than 1 ray. Another diver said there was a whole group of baby/juvenile rays off the wall at Breakwater in the sand. I did not see them. Other divers were reporting multiple sightings as well. I never got a good pic but I got nice video of the thornback.
The only rays we saw were good-sized ones with the fins removed with a knife. Yuck. Visibility was a meager 1-2 m (3-6 ft.). No swell to speak of, but a surprising amount of surge, probably a full body length in the shallower parts. Our group of three descended on one of the first wood pylons and immediately lost each other. Surfaced again and decided to head back. Water was a warm 12C / 57F. I wanted to try again as a buddy pair, but none of the group was going back. Great day to practice navigation! I did spot about a dozen neon orange nudibranchs in the sand, that was the highlight. True to the reputation of the site, two of the three of us came out trailing some fishing line, despite swimming out well away from the concrete section.

Carmel looked to be a mess this morning; so, bagged it; though it was little better on the Monterey side.

One to two meters, in the shallows, tops; lots of crap suspended in the water; fog and a few wave sets . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom