Car keys when shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a long time I was using a valet key that I took diving with me, but the physical locking mechanism on my car proved flimsy and had to be replaced a couple times. Then I took to just hiding my keys on top of my car tire, but one day someone stole my keys, but not my car or anything in it. It might have been a crow.

Now I use a combination padlock lock box that I tether to the underside of my car with a steel cable so that I don't need to crawl under the car to get at it.

On Amazon, search "Northcore Keypod Key Safe Lock Box 5GS"

What to do with car keys when shore diving??
Hello. I put my key in **** over by the *** and just behind the ******
No one would have a clue, that it's even there.
Cheers.

I had a key made that only opens the door and keep the electronic key hidden and locked inside. I also had a dog tag to put on the key ring that read DOOR ONLY after I left my electronic key in the hotel and forgot that the other key wouldn't start the ignition.

I am not sure whether the car insurance agency likes the idea to leave the key next the car. In case of theft, they might say it was a violation of my contractual obligations. I might claim that the key was secure in a locked box, and hopefully the thief witnesses that the box was pretty hard to break, but ... too much potential hassle.

I put the key into one of these yellow egg-shaped plastic cylinders. Depending on my dive gear, I click the cylinder in the D-ring of my BCD or the D-ring of my dry-suit pocket. The one in the picture has just a loop, but mine has also a plastic snap at the end of the cord.

Attachments

• egg1.jpg
    egg1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 40
  • egg2.jpg
    egg2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 37
I have an old UW case for a Fuji Finepix camera. I keep my driver's license, some cash, sometimes a credit card, and my truck key in it. I tether it to my BC. I'm up to about 120 dives with it and zero problems.

An old dive light, emptied of its electronics and batteries, makes a pretty reliable underwater key holder that can go to pretty deep depths. Adding some large nuts into the case will make it less buoyant. Keep it well secured on your BC.

I had a key made that only opens the door and keep the electronic key hidden and locked inside. I also had a dog tag to put on the key ring that read DOOR ONLY after I left my electronic key in the hotel and forgot that the other key wouldn't start the ignition.
So what happened? You got down to your car and realized you couldn't start it so you had to go back to your room & get the other key?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom