Leaving tanks in hot car - safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not withstanding the metric vs imperial discussion.

I keep my cave tanks in my car all the time, 4 cave filled LP85s and an AL80 with air for calibration. They only time they are removed from the car is when I am going to salt water and want my HP100s.

That being said I pull my deco bottle into the house. I don't feel comfortable leaving pure oxygen in my car all the time.

Depends on how long the burst disc has been in the valve. If you change it every hydro, I wouldn't worry. If you have no idea when it was last changed...

It's a new tank. Less than 10 dives on it. But the car does not necessarily sit in the shade so it would get hot.

It's a new tank. Less than 10 dives on it. But the car does not necessarily sit in the shade so it would get hot.

My comment is to address the fact that a lot of divers don't service their valves unless there is an issue, including myself. However the burst disc is subject to water contact and can corrode which can lower the burst pressure. If I had an unknown tank I'd switch the burst disc next time it's empty.

years ago I did a ton of research on tank failures, to sort through all the hype myself

there was one incident where a dive tank exploded in a hot car

can't remember the details. the burst valve should have given way, but it didn't

blew the roof off the car

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom