You GOTTA have insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that had happened in the U.K. the NHS would have provided the treatment free of charge.
Really it is at no additional charge. It’s been paid for by a tax charge which would be different for any individual. Don’t get me wrong, I’m American by way of Canada, so being practical, I look at total out of pocket costs, whether to a public or private entity. But there are many other Americans who would rather pay more total to a private entity than to a public entity on the basis of principle alone.

I can't afford the $8,100 a year for medical insurance for myself and my wife
Damn. Over here, medical + Social Security tax is 8.1% of gross income. Which means that if I'm making less than 100,000 USD, I'm paying less than you have to pay. Our copay is capped to around 300 USD/year.

Really it is at no additional charge. It’s been paid for by a tax charge which would be different for any individual.
Depends on what you mean with "different for any individual". For me, flat 8.1% of gross income is equal pay. Everybody pays the same, adjusted for ability. Except that the low-income bracket usually has less disposable income, so in reality someone who makes 100,000 USD/year pays less than what the average grocery store worker does.

Damn. Over here, medical + Social Security tax is 8.1% of gross income. Which means that if I'm making less than 100,000 USD, I'm paying less than you have to pay. Our copay is capped to around 300 USD/year.

Depends on what you mean with "different for any individual". For me, flat 8.1% of gross income is equal pay. Everybody pays the same, adjusted for ability. Except that the low-income bracket usually has less disposable income, so in reality someone who makes 100,000 USD/year pays less than what the average grocery store worker does.
The rate might be the same but the dollar amount would be different. So not the same. And again, I’m not saying that this is a bad thing. But in ‘Merica, the concept of “from each according to his ability, to each according to his need” has a pretty historical and cultural rap that isn’t necessarily the case in other Western nations.

Diving insurance costs me the equivalent of 59$ per year, its a no brainer.

The rate might be the same but the dollar amount would be different.
Well, yes... That's of course correct. And rather obvious.

But: If I make 5x the amount of what you make and we both have to pay a fixed rate for a community service, who would be better off? In terms of impact on personal economy, I would be better off even if the amount I pay is 5x the amount you pay.

In a private insurance system, the disparity would likely be even bigger. Because I would probably be able to shop for a job which includes a fairly sweet insurance deal while you might have to buy directly from the insurance company, without the benefit of an employer who has made a good deal for all their employees.

Well, yes... That's of course correct. And rather obvious.

But: If I make 5x the amount of what you make and we both have to pay a fixed rate for a community service, who would be better off? In terms of impact on personal economy, I would be better off even if the amount I pay is 5x the amount you pay.

In a private insurance system, the disparity would likely be even bigger. Because I would probably be able to shop for a job which includes a fairly sweet insurance deal while you might have to buy directly from the insurance company, without the benefit of an employer who has made a good deal for all their employees.
I agree with you on all these points. It’s a viewpoint that is not popular here.

I thank my lucky stars to have TriCare for life! $50/month, it’s the worlds best insurance but it’s not terrible either.

Go to Costa Rica or India for dental work and Singapore for more evasive surgeries at a fraction of the costs if you don’t have ins....

Go to Costa Rica or India for dental work and Singapore for more evasive surgeries at a fraction of the costs if you don’t have ins....

I'd love to go to Singapore for evasive surgeries. :wink::p

The first rule of surgery club is that we don’t talk about surgery club...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom