SI-5 dry glove system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently picked up a suit for my wife that also has the SI-5 glove system installed, but she wants standard wrist seals. I can’t find any information on the DUI site as to which wrist seals to use with the system. Any guidance?

You are not going to find the info you are looking for on the DUI site...the SI-5 system has not been produced in many years as it has been replaced by more easy to use and versatile systems that allow for the use of both wrist seals with drygloves.

Your wife should be ablento use just about any latex wrist seal to replace the gloves. Pull out the rigid ring, remove the glove, install wrist seal on ring and press into the ring glued into the suit. Look at the product manual and videos for the si-tech quick cuff for a visual of how to do this. No glue should be necessary.

My recommendation is to scrap the SI-5 and have either the QCS oval or Roloc 90 system installed with silicone wrist seals...I believe that for the small upfront cost you will save yourselves from lots of frustration.

Good luck.

-Z

My Diving Concepts suit has the Apeks low profile valve. Knock on wood, no issues yet. Sorry to hear about your hand, I hope that it heals well and rapidly.

DW

Thanks. Injury was at the end of june, primary surgery was a few days later. Hand has been healing well. Had final 2 pins surgically removed sometime last month and stiches from that surgery removed a few weeks ago. Been working on strength and range of motion.

I was able ro dive the past couple of weekends and finally used my drysuit since getting it back from aqualung just before last christmas (Dec 2019). All went well. The suit has Aquing branded valves but I believe they are just re-badged Apeks valves as Aqualung owns both brands. I had the valve open all the way and, knock on wood, I had no problems, I was completely dry.

I will admit that I normally close the valve a few clicks to limit/reduce the amount of air it allows to flow out. I played with the valve quite a bit during the dives and did not experience any wetness in my suit.

-Z

Your wife should be ablento use just about any latex wrist seal to replace the gloves. Pull out the rigid ring, remove the glove, install wrist seal on ring and press into the ring glued into the suit. Look at the product manual and videos for the si-tech quick cuff for a visual of how to do this. No glue should be necessary.

This is correct. Why doesn't your wife want to use the dry gloves? I had to get used to them but now enjoy having dry hands. My only gripe with this particular system is they stay on which makes some task difficult with the suit on.

This is correct. Why doesn't your wife want to use the dry gloves? I had to get used to them but now enjoy having dry hands. My only gripe with this particular system is they stay on which makes some task difficult with the suit on.

The si-5 system is designed to mount the gloves and leave them in place on the suit until they need to be replaced. That can make doing anything out of the water, once one suits up, very tedious, especially if one has thick under gloves on.

Also, some folk use a drysuit not because the water temp itself requires it, but because they plan to dp multiple dives...the prospect of that 2nd and/or 3rd dive of the day pulling on a cold clammy wetsuit is uninviting....one might want the benefit of a drysuit in this case without the need for drygloves.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom