Survivor Bias

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Survivor Bias, Dunning-Kruger Effect, Normalization of Deviance ... all relate to the same sort of thing.
I agree that survivor bias and normalization of deviance can be closely linked. Not so sure about Dunning-Kruger, though.

I agree that survivor bias and normalization of deviance can be closely linked. Not so sure about Dunning-Kruger, though.

Dunning Kruger could have someone believing that they're the better diver.

If it begins with "Hey, y'all. Watch this!" it's survivor bias.

Yes, I've seen all those phrases used as intellectual crutch to stifle a conversation instead of making a rational argument against a particular behavior. It seems some think it's the answer to the conversation rather than a concept that might be in play.

Smartest post ever! Bob DBF

Words used to sculpt one conclusion rather than answers
Should be removed from the equation along with their users

If these terms have as hold on you here's your nirvana

The Human Diver - Counter-errorism in Diving - Home Page

I just assumed the Sh-lemming Effect was in play when incompetent people assume because they are unable to perform a specific task that it was not possible for anyone else to do it. As on display.

The factors involved with a dive are complex, and the training required for dives vary. I have seen videos of jvogt riding his mountain bike. I would not have survived those rides, but I would never be in such danger, because at my biking level, there is no way on God's green Earth I would attempt it.

A while ago ScubaBoard lost a valuable member when northernone disappeared on a dive. When people learned the dive plan he was executing when he disappeared, many posters spoke out against his supposedly insane plan, but I responded that for a diver of his training and experience, that dive was routine.

A few years ago a diver died in Louisiana when, after a day of fishing and drinking beer, he strapped on an AL 80 at dusk and went to 200 feet on an oil rig in an attempt to spear big grouper. Commenters rightfully called it a poor decision, and he probably made that decision based on a survivor's bias because of having gotten away with similar dives in the past. I dive to 200 feet and deeper in darkness regularly. I do so not because of survivor's bias but because I have the training and the equipment to do such a dive safely.

My mother told me long ago that I haven't managed to get myself killed because "heaven doesn't want me and hell won't have me." Could it be that simple? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom