You GOTTA have insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willful ignorance is stupid.
I don't disagree. In fact, I agree very much. But I do disagree that the ignorance always is willful. People are simple. Many don't have the background to understand that they're being lied to. They are victims, not stooges.

I don't disagree. In fact, I agree very much. But I do disagree that the ignorance always is willful. People are simple. Many don't have the background to understand that they're being lied to. They are victims, not stooges.

The term is brainwashed

You already spend more in taxes on insurance per capita on health care than the U.K. does.
FTFY

The term is brainwashed
Allow me to disagree. Again.

Most people are simple. Of the earth, to use that term. They haven't the necessary background to understand that they're being lied to. They may well be brainwashed in the literal sense, but using that term isn't particularly productive. Because it breeds resentment. Do we want resentment, or do we want a productive discussion?

Thats a problem with the word being understood wrong which is common in our language.

As you said they have been lied to all there life so they believe that's what right. By definition that is brainwasiing

By definition that is brainwasiing
Sure. I don't disagree.

And when you tell someone that they're brainwashed, how productive is that? On a scale from 1 to 10? Perhaps we should try to find different terms to use in the discussion?

Nobody likes to be told that their baby is ugly.

Sure. I don't disagree.

And when you tell someone that they're brainwashed, how productive is that? On a scale from 1 to 10? Perhaps we should try to find different terms to use in the discussion?
My guess it’s more productive than my term “stupid” by one step on your scale, perhaps “gaslit” would be more productive:wink:

perhaps “gaslit” would be more productive
Or perhaps we might even find an even less offensive term if we really tried. Just to get a more productive discussion. Because very few people appreciate being told that they're stupid or similar things.

No, really, the US Government spends more tax payer (in the loosest sense that includes printed or borrowed) money on health services than the U.K. government does. The insurance part is on top of that.

Amazing, isn’t it.

How much does the federal government spend on health care?

2019 US Federal spending was 1.2 trillion USD plus another load in tax breaks of various sorts that is at least 200bn and maybe as much as 470 bn.

So that is about 3.5k/head to 5k/head

In the U.K.

Healthcare expenditure, UK Health Accounts - Office for National Statistics

£3300 or 4K USD/head. We don’t get tax breaks on insurance premiums. I pay tax on a benefit in kind of about 1500 USD to get private cover. The employee private cover doesn’t seem to consider age, health etc, however I wouldn’t be able to buy that cover privately, you need to be a big company to get decent rates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom